"Stairway to Heaven" equivalent for Tumpeters?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Big Daddy, Dec 8, 2009.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have never found the REAL guitar playing crowd to be interested in Stairway to Heaven. They normally want to hear something from Eddie Van Halen, Randy Scheckter, Joe Pass or Fernando Sor.

The same applies to the trumpet. The trumpetgeek wants to hear Maynard, Wynton, Maurice or Hakan. The casual listener Herb Alpert or Al Hirt.

It is useful to have a bag of rehearsed tricks. Never offer something that is out of YOUR musical reach. You never know who may be listening.

2. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    When I went to try a trumpet I was asked not to play pictures

3. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    If anyone ever asks me to play "Freeturd" on a trumpet gig, they will eat my cup mute)the hard way!) I HATE SKYNYRD!!!!

4. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Stop being so shy, tell us how you *really* feel.:roll:

5. The Kraken

The Kraken Piano User

Mar 28, 2007
    Gold Coast - 805
    I have never been asked to play a song, only question around these parts is HOW HIGH CAN YOU PLAY? I tell them, "Not high enough to empress you!!" and they walk away.

6. PiperJon

PiperJon New Friend

Oct 22, 2009
    Just for reference, the "Stairway to Heaven" for the bagpipes is both Scotland the Brave and Amazing Grace. Before anyone ever asks a piper "Hey, do you know how to play..." if the next words are either of those two song titles, the answer is "Yes. Yes we do. We ALL do. Every one of us." The unspoken part is "And we are REALLY tired of playing them for people. Would you care to hear Pigeon on the Gate or The Black Bear?"

/rant

Think I'll go play me some Feel So Good, now! ;-)

Pj