Stamp Warm-ups

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by commakozzi, Mar 24, 2008.

1. commakozzi

commakozzi Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2007
    Georgia, USA
    Any of you guys use the Stamp book and CD for warm-ups? I just got the book and CD the other day and have been trying to use it. I think I like it???.... not sure if it's doing what I think it's doing just yet. It feels like it's forcing me to push myself harder in the morning than I'm used to being pushed, to the point that it's almost uncomfortable (like I'm not warming up, but hurting myself). However, after doing my scales and Clarkes afterwards and then moving on to music I felt like I was playing a lot better.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There is no requirement to use force with Stamp. I feel you should NEVER beat yourself up before the "music portion" of your routine.

I generally use a 4 week "trial" period to judge the success or failure of some method. The first couple of days with a book, new partner, horn, mouthpiece, brand of beer are not decisive. The medium and long term consequences are! Take notes!

I would say, take a more relaxed approach to Stamp - less force and volume and perhaps a repetition or two more. If this is strenuous, put it AFTER the MUSIC part of your routine. Never practice music when tired!

3. commakozzi

commakozzi Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2007
    Georgia, USA
    Well, here's the thing, the warm-up I had been using was making me feel nice and cozy for the day, but I'd find that I wasn't prepared to play in the upper register at all. This group I'm playing with forced me to recognize that, because we'll do a practice and then performance in the same day (within hours of each other). I feel like I'm having a hard time in the upper register (B above staff to E) during the practice, but toward the end I'm feeling pretty comfortable. Then the performance is great and I feel great up there. Of course, there's a window for this which is approximately 1-1/2 hours of playing for me after I've gotten comfortable. However, after the third day of using the Stamp warm-up I had to go straight to a performance. I did nothing else besides the warm-up and some mouthpiece buzzing in my car just to get my lips moving more. I felt wonderful during the performance that day! Yeah, I will give it several weeks to really determine if the Stamps were the cause, but it's almost too coincidental for me to not believe that they were. They do make me a little uncomfortable, but I feel like they are forcing me to stretch myself out more than I'm used to.

4. RG111

RG111 Piano User

Nov 12, 2003
    FWIW I use the Hood mouthpiece drills, followed by Stamp each day. Also some Bai Lin and Clarke ( or Gekker). It seems to set me up for anything that follows. I have never had the feeling that it was tiring me for the rest of the day's activities.
    Roy Griffin

5. bspickler

bspickler Pianissimo User

Apr 28, 2006
    Denver, CO
    You may want to look at this series of threads from Janet842. Janet was a Stamp student. Also, if you don't have it, get the book by Roy Poper who describes the Stamp method.

Forum: trumpetherald.com

6. tromj

tromj Piano User

Jun 4, 2005
    Teaneck, NJ
    I can only emphasize what has been said before. Use a lot of air, but don't force it. The CD keeps you up to the speed Stamp wanted. Make sure to do the Lip and mp drills as well. Also, even after doing the mp part of the warm up, you can do a little quiet playing before delving into Stamp. Also, especially on numbers 4b and 5, don't squeeze or move to get the high notes. The idea of these warm ups is to move or adjust as litte as possible so that the setting in the pedal tones is still in place to some extent for the upper register.

7. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    i don't have the stamp cd but ue the thompson one. it does help with tempo as others said but more important keeping you on pitch. i am of the opnion that if you aren't buzzing in tune you are wasting your time. make sure you don't change the face too much when playing the pedels. also rest every bar line (as long as you just played is idel) might help too.