Stamp Warmups with CDs

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by dambly, Dec 7, 2006.

1. dambly

dambly Pianissimo User

Sep 7, 2005
    Hi TMers,

As Editions BIM has updated their website, I thought I'd send the updated link for the 9th Edition of the Stamp Warmups + Studies, which includes play-along CDs in B-flat and C.

The play-along material on the CDs covers the major exercises in the book, and was composed by Thomas Stevens.

Complete information is available at this link on the publisher's website:

Stamp Warm-Ups + Studies

A short article by Thomas Stevens explains the genesis of the Stamp book:

Stevens on Stamp

2. mattdalton

mattdalton Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2005
    Newcastle, WA USA
    Tom -
    I'd like to congratulate you for a job extremely well done on the play-along CDs for the Stamp studies. I've played the studies for many years, but it's much easier to focus on playing them correctly and remaining in "present time" with the CD playing. One hand holding the mouthpiece and the other hand playing the keyboard works fine, but using the CD is dramatically better. Because time and pitch are laid out so clearly, it's easier to achieve a focused, consistent warm-up with the CD.

If you get a chance, please pass along my thanks to Mr. Stevens for composing the useful and interesting accompaniments too.

3. dambly

dambly Pianissimo User

Sep 7, 2005
    Matt,

Thanks for your kind comments -- glad you like the CD accompaniments and find them helpful. Like you, I had been playing those familiar Stamp lines for many years before collaborating with Tom Stevens on these play-alongs.

I'd worked on the studies with Roy Poper when he was at USC, so was indoctrinated in the proper performance of them at the keyboard, per Stamp's instructions.

I have since played them countless times while sitting at practice room pianos in dubious states of repair. With the CD accompaniments, I've been able to replace those pianos with an iPod that always plays in tune!

Best Regards,

-Tom

Last edited: Dec 8, 2006