Star-Spangled Banner at the New York Giants game

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rjny, Sep 18, 2013.

1. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Navy Musicians play the DOD version of the Nation Anthem. Even our premier groups do. I just can't feel right about that version, or the lack of Military Bearing while they play it.

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I cringe when such a Nationally important piece is "interpreted" - This piece is designed, I think, to show a measure of respect for the Nation - it is NOT just entertainment, nor is it to make the player a "hero". Sorry, outsiders viewpoint - and I'm probably out of line too.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The most beautiful version of our National Anthem I have ever heard was performed by Lou Rawls. At the bridge there is one of the most passionate descant trumpet solos (on piccolo trumpet) I have EVER heard. It IS the best version of the Anthem of the most wonderful country that human society has ever created. If I can ever find this version, I would love to post it but it is rear. I only heard it as a youth living in Cincinnati, as a local AM jazz station would sign off every day as the sun set with this version (WNOP). If anyone can find this version, please post it so we can convince Vulgano Brother that the descant trumpet can make our National Anthem into a version that ALL Americans can be proud of hearing.

4. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    See, Rowuk, most horn players here in North America call THAT a Double C ;-) And, the G below it a Double G- because there's a G below the staff as well.

5. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I've taken a day or so to think about this one. My question has to be "who were the three players playing for?" To me they were showing off which is playing for yourself not for the crowd. I have to say I was slightly concerned that the lead player was about to lay an egg, it isn't the sort of showboating that, for me, sits well with any national anthem. Could the lead have hit the notes without the histrionincs, if he could he should have done it would look less vulgar, and if he couldn't he should have left them alone in that setting. For once a considered view from me.

6. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    At any rate their military bearing was rather awful... three different stances, salutes one after the other, marching off... any Austrian village band would have been chased out of the arena if they had done anything like that.

7. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I liked it. I don't think the performers arranged the parts. It was most likely arranged and approved by an officer at West Point.

I don't like the pop versions but I think this was a little different and a little showy for the crowd. Nothing disgusting. Whether it's musical, maybe not, it's a matter of personal taste.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    and NOT to mention - -they had lyres and apparently the music on them ---- MY GOODNESS what kind of idiots are we graduating from West Point that they can't remember the National Anthem??????

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
  10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA