Star-Spangled Banner at the New York Giants game

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rjny, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Tough first post to handle. Well done! Stick around :D

2. badddnote

badddnote New Friend

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC
    Hey it's all good. Heck, if I had of folded on the dubba C at the end, this thread certainly would have been hard to handle.

3. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    My friend, that's why we play trumpet. We live for the big note. If you can't nail it, go join the string section :-)

4. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    baddd---Then my complaint is with the arranger, and not the musicians. I resisted posting for quite some time because the trio's ability is obvious. You can play with me anytime (no that you would want to), but I'll pick another arrangement of The National Anthem. Any more videos of you guys playing--I'd love to listen to them.

5. badddnote

badddnote New Friend

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC
    I'm glad to just be able to play music. I'm very fortunate no matter what part I play. There is a special kind of fun with those big notes I must admit. I like all the notes in between too. The other guys in that video are really amazing players. The 2nd player, Vito Speranza is an amazing improviser and he plays these solos that have the coolest notes in them. Sometimes I keep a piece of manuscript handy so I can write down some of the rides and learn a thing or two. The 3rd player Rich Johnson has a SOUND. It's like Chet B. and Art Farmer. Thanks for the positive vibes!

6. badddnote

badddnote New Friend

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC
    @amzi: I'm always glad to hear constructive comments. If someone has your back and is in your corner, those are the types of people I don't mind getting "set straight" by. You can always tell if comments from someone that is there to help you improve as a person/musician or tear you down. If I was in Northern Cal., I'd play with ya anytime! As far as playing another arrangement, I'm up for playing any arrangement that is in front of me. They all have their special challenges which is always cool. Hey, I see you have a Bach Bass trumpet on your signature block. I've got a NY Bach Bass. I love it! I wish I could have played that on this Anthem job. Probably for another post but if you havent checked out Elliot Mason on Bass Trumpet, you must!

7. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    You're welcome.

In amongst a good deal of bull c£$p, you'll find all the good words here - musicianship, interpretation, mumble, originality, mumble, etc. etc. Nothing at all wrong with this, it's the way the profession progresses.

But at the end of the day, the big question is, did you send a shiver down the spine of the hottest chick in the audience?

My guess is, your answer is yes. That's what we're here for!

8. badddnote

badddnote New Friend

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC
    I've found myself on this site alot over the years but have never really posted until now. I think there are some really knowledgeable folks here. I have benefited a TON by some serious expertise anytime I have been looking for gear information or any other trumpet related stuff. I am an equipment junkie. That horn that I played was a 1941 Martin Handcraft Imperial and it is an amazing instrument. Ive had it about a year and it is the best horn Ive had in almost 30 years of playing professionally. Ive gotten great information here on how to keep the thing alive. It is so full of red rot, its just falling apart. And the shiver? My wife wasn't at the game but she saw it on the 'tube. Her tune is "God Save The Queen" though.

9. badddnote

badddnote New Friend

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC
    .....I wanted to add that if you listen close to the end of it, there is a triplet lead in played by the drummer of the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra. That was the drum set up for the coolest version of America you ever heard in your life. Wynton Marsalis arranged it for the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra (Wynton, Ryan Kisor, James Zollar, Marcus Printup and the rest of the band performed it right after we did our part about 15 yards from us on a portable stage). Too bad it isn't on the video here. If it was, it might make more sense as a complete performance to hear those two selections being played together back to back.

10. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN