Star-Spangled Banner at the New York Giants game

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rjny, Sep 18, 2013.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    VB --- what kind of "haircut" do you have again?? ROFL ROFL ROFL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwTxbz9nc9o

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    deleted VB scene with the dancing grandmothers on "Grandmother's Go Wild Video" -- as it was not suitable for family viewing!!!

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Brian Kissing Grandma - YouTube

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Baddnote, I meant no disrespect for the way the arrangement was played--it was very well performed in a huge pressure situation, and for the performance all of you have my utmost respect. I would have been totally blown away had the entire band accompanied you!

5. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I'm so glad that I said I liked it. This reminds me of the old days when a thread would go this way and then Manny L. would come on and straighten it out.

6. badddnote

badddnote New Friend

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC
    Mr. Vulgano: I THINK the whole band was requested but as I understand it, the request came in so late (literally on a monday or tuesday before the Sunday game) that the whole band wasnt available. The next thing I knew, parts were issued on thursday and we read them twice then played the gig. I think if the whole band was there, my bet is that we would have played the regulation version which is what is supposed to be played when performed with an entire BAND. So, there would have been no feet spread, high notes (except from the woodwinds) or gyrations of any kind......just a straight up Bb National Anthem.

7. demasla

demasla New Friend

Nov 9, 2007
    Indio, Ca
    If I'm not mistaken (that's happened once before), the third trumpet in this group is The retired principal for the St Louis
    Symphony - Susan Slaughter- held for 30 yrs before retiring in 2009. Not bad.
    And Baddnote- great job!

Larry D.

8. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    There may be life lessons to learn from this thread

9. badddnote

badddnote New Friend

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC
    I'm constantly reminded of my own criticalness as a musician. There was a time when I was a kid that I thought Maurice Andre wasnt that great and that Clifford Brown was just OK. Yeah, "I can do that." Then I actually bought a piccolo and tried to play it and started to transcribe Clifford Brown (with a record player). ANY negativity kills artistic performance.....period! John Coltrane used to let anyone sit in on his gig and it used to really bug certain players in the band because he would encourage anyone no matter how marginal of a player they were. Trane would intently listen to the person sitting in and extract something from their playing and build off that in his own improvisations even if they didnt play so hot. When Elvin Jones tried to set 'trane straight about letting "hacks" get up and play, trane told Elvin that he was "missing the whole point." I know that when I was a kid thinking that Maurice Andre wasnt so great (because I saw him live and it didnt look like he was even trying), I was missing the point. I think we would al be deeper artists if we strive to get the point and set aside ways of thinking that kill creativity. It takes being open with people in your network and allowing them to set you straight. Obviously Elvin Jones let Trane set him straight because they continued their musical relationship for a long time. Let's do the same.

10. Recursion

Recursion Mezzo Piano User

Jun 22, 2012
    Cape Coral, FL
    Cough cough...
    Did we have to go there? Now my lunch will have to wait an extra few minutes! ROFL

Everyone can have their own opinion, but Arturo's rendition definitely moved me when I first heard it. Knowing his Cuban origins and his defection to the US, to me, his rendition represents his gratitude and appreciation, and he expressed that the best way he could. And damn did he express himself! #HTRZ

And not to say a formal, military setting calls for screaming DHCs. There is a place, time, and situation for everything, my friends.