Star Spangled Banner

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Sterling, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    September 14, 2014 is the 200th anniversary of the United State's National anthem. It did not become official until 1931. I will be playing It on a 7 keyed bugle, circa 1830. What will you do? Whatever you do, do it well.

2. mhendricks

mhendricks Pianissimo User

3. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    Ok, I am confused. Is there no trumpet player in the United States excited about the 200th anniversary of this tune? Pleas respond.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    It's not the musicians who are not excited, it's the populace of our Nation, more than half of which whose ancestry were not Americans when Francis Scott Key penned the words during the British bombardment of Fort McHenry. Too, the music is not of American origin ... it's British from "To Anacreon in Heaven" by John Stafford Smith.

Lastly, too many musicians have varied from the music as it was officially adopted as the anthem of the United States. IMO this is not a prima donna showpiece song! Play it by the official score or don't play it at all.

5. limepickle

limepickle Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    I prefer a straight forward version as well, but any tasteful arrangement would do.
    I remember seeing a video a few years ago that had a group of 5 girls singing the
    Star Spangled Banner at a basketball game; it was not a traditional arrangement, but
    it was wonderfully done and without any annoying vocal embellishments.

As for OP, maybe I will practice the Star Spangled Banner more. It's a good piece of music
    to know well.

6. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Wife's alumni band uses the Bill Moffit arrangement which is also the one my high school band used as well. The concert band we're in uses an older official version, but after listening to Mark's arrangement, I might see if the director might be interested in using it:oops:

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Succinctly, my argument is that no other musical arrangement is Our National Anthem, The Star Spangled Banner than that which was officially so designated.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    My eyes tear up on any version of this song. Every time I hear it. The passion lives that deep in my heart.

9. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    . Oh come on Gary, it's not that bad.

10. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Touche