Star Trek Voyager

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jmberinger, Oct 8, 2010.

1. jmberinger

jmberinger Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2007
    Long Beach, California
    My son was channel surfing and I heard the opening theme, then stayed for the rest. The trumpet work was excellent. Not only the solos but the section work as well. Who played in the section?

2. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    V'ger.

3. Clarion

Clarion New Friend

Oct 3, 2010
    N.E. Ohio
    The main theme for Star Trek: Voyager was composed and conducted by Jerry Goldsmith. It won the Emmy for best main title in 1995

There is no mention of the orchestra or soloists used. I imagine if you knew someone who worked at Paramount Picture 15 years ago you might be able to track it down

Star Trek Soundtracks: Composers: Jerry Goldsmith

Voyager :: TrekCore

4. The Kraken

The Kraken Piano User

Mar 28, 2007
    Gold Coast - 805
    I think is was one of them OCOMPA !!!

or could be as simple as the Crystaline Entity !!

5. jmberinger

jmberinger Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2007
    Long Beach, California
    Thanks, the brass work is remarkable. So often we talk about orchestral musicians, but do not give the studio musicians their due. I, for one, would be really interested in hearing more about how studio work get done and who does it.

For example, what is the current thought regarding what type of trumpet (make, key, bore size), is best used? Who is on who's crew and what does the second trumpet due to aid the first in the studio?

6. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
  7. kadleck

kadleck Artist in Residence Staff Member

Feb 28, 2006
    new york
    I could only speak for NY, but this is a pretty great site about the LA players, where most of the TV work is done: Home - The Usual Suspects

Tony

8. The Kraken

The Kraken Piano User

Mar 28, 2007
    Gold Coast - 805
    Thanks for the insight, great site.

9. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    I remember reading Henry Mancini hand picked many of the studio players for his great series of albums back in the 60's to get just the sound he wanted. I also heard a lot of consistency between various albums. Some of my favorites of all time were Peter Gunn, Pink Panther, Mancini '67, The Blues and the Beat, I think, Breakfast at Tiffany's.