Star Wars: Episode 3

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Heavens2kadonka, May 19, 2005.

1. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Watched the Midnight showing last night.

Was amazing. The best of the new three, and IMHO, the second best of all of them (I don't care what anyone says, Return of the Jedi is one of the greatest movies ever made!).

The love story between Anakin and Amadala sucks, but its a lot better written than Episode II *Cringes*.

The fighting is amazing, the special effects are jaw-dropping, the storyline (Minus some awkward love dialogue) is great, it was a jolly good time.

Van

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Thanks for not writing anything that would give away the plot. I almost didn't open your thread because I thought something might have inadvertently given away a plot twist. Even though we know where it's going , it's the getting there that'll be fun.

Thanks for the report!

ML

3. sublmbadfish

sublmbadfish Pianissimo User

Jul 9, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Yea that movie was awesome...i also went to the midnight opening. our movie didnt get rolling till 12:35, there was almost a riot ahahaha

Great movie though...even bettter soundtrack

4. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    I was given some plot info about this film months ago - one of my students' Dad is a flautist (principal flute of the LSO :D ) and the lad came into school with daily information from when his Dad was recording the music. Apparently his Dad spent two weeks being very excited every time he went to work - nice to know that just because he is a stunning player, he can still get excited about the good things in life :D

5. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Pianissimo User

I'm ashamed to admit, I haven't seen any of the "new" Star Wars yet..

guess I'll wait for the Box Set on DVD and have a full 6 film session!!

6. iguananaught

iguananaught Pianissimo User

Mar 10, 2005
    Dave, you can skip Phantom Menace. Bad story, bad acting, horrible writing, worse direction, not important to the basic plot of the whole double trilogy. Attack of the Clones is worth it for Yoda's fight scene, Sam Jackson kicking butt as a Jedi and Natalie Portman's outfits.

Patrick

7. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    I saw it MOnday night as part of a special preview, and again last night with the kid.

Loved it. I'd watch it again even. The acting still stinks and the dialogue makes you want to bite your own tongue out of your mouth and spit it into the trash. Bleh! But the effects and action are bar none. THey did tie up most plot points pretty well.

And Van is right -- EASILY the best of the three prequels. If it didn't have Lucas directing, it may have been the best of all six of 'em. (Portman, generally at least a decent actress, just downright stunk in this one)....

8. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    I went yesterday and took my 2 oldest. If you are taking a 9 year old, be sure he/she can handle it. (He's ben waiting with baited breath for quite some time). He was quite upset and left the theatre during one scene to "go to the bathroom", and I saw him hiding his eyes during a couple others. We talked about it afterwards, and he's ok.

The music is outstanding. John Williams did a fantastic job of tying the thematic material to the plot in a very reflective way (including some nice little tricks in Annakin's theme); the trumpet playing is out of this world. (Of course, the sound was cranked so that played a major role). I still get chills when I hear that Mahler-like fanfare at the beginning. I'd go again just to have the LSO blow me away like that!

9. cmcdougall

cmcdougall Piano User

Feb 3, 2005
    I couldnt agree more, some of the trumpet lines in the Star Wars music are just out of this world.

10. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    I thought the dialogue was generally fine. I could definitely tell George Lucas was too busy playing with his action figures to pick up a good Harlequin Romance novel every now and then..... the "love" dialogue between Anakin and Padme really hurt me. I wasn't expecting Shakespeare, of course, but I would have like some better ways to show affection.

One of my friends had read the comic books and novels that came before the movie. He told me what was supposed to happen. What I really, really liked about this movie, is it followed that plot, but not exactly. It added a lot more, and changed certain dramatic scenes. It was still fresh and surprising. I was still surprised (Appauled, actually).

YES, the music was very good. A lot of Tympani. Thats all I can say about it. The tympani really stuck with you. It gave every piece in the story a darker, more brooding feel.

Everyone here has to see it. I would say it is the second most entertaining Star Wars, though probably the third best-written.

The last scenes of Episode III were my favorite, how everything tied in, and every detail was the icing on the cake.

Van