Start beginners on cornets?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cornetguy, Oct 11, 2005.

1. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    The question of the day is...

How many of you started on cornet. I did, I love playing it, solos, orchestra. (gee now you know why the screen name) if I could I would rather have a band playing them.

Question for educators out there

Do you prefer to start kids on trumpet cornet and why.

I prefer cornet, easier for the kids to get a decent sound out of and find that some bad habits cannont get started. ie. kids resting bell on leg, embouchure problems that the out of balance the trumpet can cause, easier for really small kids to handle (I was one of them)

2. MahlerBrass

MahlerBrass Piano User

Oct 1, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Cornets, it's easier to make a good sound, and the trumpet is a bit too big for a lot of beginner students, it's easier for them to hold a cornet, there by focusing on actually playing the instrument and not holding the darn thing :D

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Of course, some beginners are larger than other beginners! LOL. I was 6'4, 200# and 50 years of age when I started so the issue of being able to hold a trumpet didn't exist. Still, I enjoy hauling out the Eterna to play through some of the Arbans exercises and I REALLY wish I could convince more of our c.b. trumpet section to carry a cornet for when the part is marked "cornet"!

4. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    I don't care what they play as long as they play!!!! Bring in your Bach Strad, Yamaha Xeno, or grandma's next door neighbor's cousin's auntie's boyfreinds trumpet from high school in 1947, I'm going to try to teach you. As long as it works we're blowing!

I never gave much thought as to cornet vs trumpet -- I just want them to have a horn that works!

5. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    Bingo

A perfect answer

I started on trumpet (because we managed to get a very cheap one), then got a cornet (because we got a cheap second hand one, that was better than my trumpet), then moved back to the trumpet later on. I now play both (differently - the trumpet is a trumpet, the cornet is a cornet - welcome to the brass band style :D ).
    When students start, it matters not what the start on - some find a trumpet easier to hold, others find the cornet easier. Whatever they can get, we will use. Later on we can work on the precise differences of sound and syle.

6. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    I agree 100% with band man and would like to add that I think it is impractical to start them on cornet in a school band setting. Now if I had a kid that was not in middle school yet, I might try it, but I cant see parents shelling out money for two horns.

7. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    My thoughts exactly!!! But, given a choice, that first G or C always sounds better on a cornet. Of my students, the ones with the warmest tones started on cornets.

8. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I just like the fact that cornets are smaller and easier for smaller hands to reach and brings the sound closer to the young ear.

ML

9. RoccoNut16v

RoccoNut16v New Friend

Oct 11, 2005
    Texas
    I started on a trumpet. About 2 years into my playing career, I switched schools and was forced onto the cornet. I absolutly hated the balance of the cornet, and switched right back to trumpet as soon as I could. I never intended on playing a cornet again, but just recently was given a Selmer Paris Signet Special, and have since begun to appreciate it.

It seems to give me a slightly warmer tone than the Bach, and is a bit easier to play. I, for one, think students should be started on the cornet. I get the impression that not as much air is needed to fill up a cornet as is to fill up a trumpet.

10. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    I also like the idea that a cornet is closer to any beginners ear (young or old). I think it's important to be able to hear yourself well when you're learning (perhaps even when you're not learning as well)..particularly when you start playing in ensembles.

Regards,

Trevor