started playing agian after long break

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by buzzcutt101, Dec 31, 2008.

1. buzzcutt101

buzzcutt101 New Friend

Dec 30, 2008
    i played the trumpet all thru school and recently began playing again. my holton collegiate got damaged and the 2nd valve got jammed. i just snagged a vintage york trumpt on ebay for 70 bucks. the ad said it plays well and has a good tone and made of good quality american brass. i read where the york company was aquired by fisher company in 1972. does anybody know anything about vintage york trumpets? im hoping i got a good find considering it would cost at least that much to get my holton repaired. any input greatly appreciated. happy new year fellow trumpet mates

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    I believe they were basically beginner trumpets and of decent quality for a beginner. On ebay you get what you get. So wait and see what it really is.

3. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

As the moderator of the York segment of Horn-U-Copia.net, and a former York factory employee, I suppose that I am as qualified as any here to make an unseen evaluation of your soon to be delivered York trumpet as anyone here. My problem is that I don't know what model you have coming and in turn, who made it. After A.J.'Bill' Johnson sold York Band Instruments to Fischer in 1940 the instruments were made by many different companies and still marketed as York horns. Some of these were superlative and some, just so-so. If you can find a match for your recent acquisition among the many York trumpets on Horn-U-Copia.net, contact me for my opinion.

OLDLOU>>