Starting a New Instrument

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TheCanadianScreamer, Jun 29, 2006.

1. TheCanadianScreamer

TheCanadianScreamer New Friend

Jun 29, 2006
    I have recently been thinking about starting a new instrument. I have been playing trumpet for a while and have gotten pretty good quickly. Don't get me wrong, I love trumpet, but the saxaphone has been peaking my interest lately. Will saxaphone mess up my embrasure, and if so, is there an instrument that would be better take on as a second instrument?

2. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    I don't know... but if you end up purchasing a Kenny G CD you will have to sell your trumpet and never come back to this forum again...

:lol: No, just kidding of course. Had to mess with you.

3. TheCanadianScreamer

Jun 29, 2006
    In the words of Happy Gilmore " I'd kick my own ass " if i purchased a Kenny G Cd.

But seriously, anyone who can give me any info on the subject, it would be appreciated.

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Umm... can we summarize at this point? You've just picked up trumpet, want to know how many mouthpieces you should have for stylistic differences, are thinking about whether to study legit or jazz, need to know what alternate instrument to learn at the same time, and are questioning your own purchase of a pro-level trumpet? :?:

You certainly have set some (amazing) goals for yourself!

5. TheCanadianScreamer

Jun 29, 2006
    What can I say, I have a lot of questions.

6. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I can't see a Sax messing with your embouchre much.

I don't know why you'd want to play a "reed" instrument but to each his own.

As for your progress with the trumpet; I'd remind you that the trumpet is a very demanding instrument. With all the pros and pro-like amateurs on this board you'll want to be careful not to come accross as "to cavalier" some might think that what your really saying is, "I've mastered the trumpet now on to something else!"

I use to goof around in High school with a friend of mine who was a sax player. I could play his instrument but he could not produce anything out of my trumpet. So it should be easy for you to start to play.

my .02 :cool:

7. TheCanadianScreamer

Jun 29, 2006
    I certainly havent mastered the trumpet and have yet to meet somebody who has. I'll keep that in mind.

-Jon

8. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    :cool:

Best to you man..