Starting beginners ages 9-10

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Glennx, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Glennx

Glennx Pianissimo User

Aug 16, 2009
    Ottawa
    I got two mouthpieces with my little Yamaha YR-231 cornet: a Bach 10-1/2CW and a Yamaha 9. I've been using the Yamaha and put my little guy on the Bach. He's starting on cornet because he's small for his age, it's easier to hold, and he gets a better sound on it.

I don't play cornet much, but when I recently tried the 9 again it seemed a lot bigger than I remembered...leading me to wonder if it's a better idea to start kids ages 9-10 on generally smaller mouthpieces than usual, given their smaller chops/face size and undeveloped breath capacity.

Anyone got any thoughts on this? Or any specific experiences or recommendations relating to starting beginners at this age?

2. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    both of those are fairly small so either should be OK. Most student trumpets come with a 7c so that's what most people start out on. I'm not sure what the "W" designation on the bach mouthpiece means but I would assume it's a wider rim. If that's the case, the yamaha may be preferred because it will allow more lip flexibility.

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi glennx,
    My recommendation is to use a Bach 7c. Why? Its a middle of the road size. Many beginning students start out on this size.
    At this time your kid doesn't have an appriciation as to what fits yet. In time, (years down the road) when they can play scales and songs with fluency, they (not you) will make mouthpiece decisions based on fit and comfort. But for now, I'd go with a middle of the road size, Bach 7c.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Cornet is good place to start for a beginner for the reasons mentioned. W/O seeing your son, it's hard to say what mpc would be best. For little, thin lips small is better. You already have the Bach, so I would use it. It is smaller than a 7C and you are correct about lip/chops/breath relationship. Check out this sight for additional info in that area.

http://http://www.storkcustom.com/html/dr.%20mpc%20lips2%20Q7.htm

These four pages have a lot of good info in them. You should also check out his library. Simply awesome.

5. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    I highly endorse the Yamaha cornet and Bach 7c combination, and love it. You see, I'm small for my age too. I'm 48. Seriously, I like the cornet.

6. Bourbon City

Bourbon City Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2004
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Many decades ago I started playing the cornet at age eight. I believe I was in the third grade. Today, the thought is not to start until seventh or eighth grades. I don't agree, but it's modern education.

I think the cornet is perfect for shorter arms and the 7c is good for starters. However, todays starters are being led to the 5c. Why? I don't know. It's modern education.

BC

7. RichJ

RichJ Piano User

Jan 16, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    9-10 is a typical starting age, so you don't really need to worry about doing anything radical. As long as the horn and the mouthpiece are middle of the road in size, he should be fine. I personally would avoid anything narrower than a Bach 7 width.

8. The Kraken

The Kraken Piano User

Mar 28, 2007
    Gold Coast - 805
    Well I can't muster any advice on the original post but I have a two year old grand daughter that walks around my house buzzing on a Schilke 6A4a ROFL

I taught her once and she got it, now when I grab my trumpet she insists on being in the room buzzing. :thumbsup:

When I started I beleive it was a 7c, at least that is what came with my Bundy !!

9. Smithi20

Smithi20 Pianissimo User

Oct 29, 2007
    London
    tricky. I started on a Bach 7c at 8 and stuck with it for 10 years.... but why? If a youngster has more control over a smaller or larger mouthpiece at that stage what´s the problem bringing them into a music shop and checking out the mouthpiece that they like the most and is more effective for them? Children have rights too! Maybe this is the root of all those mouthpiece searches... yours.... S Freud

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    You are correct in your assessment. You were given that 7C like most of us were because it is the "beginners" mpc. No thought or logic is involved in the decision process, it is just handed to you and you are to use it. I can see this as a frontier that has yet to be explored. Can you imagine a child playing better and reaching their potential earlier because they have a mpc that fits? How much better could brass sections sound ?