Starting beginners ages 9-10

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Glennx, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    -------------
    S Freud, I hate to bruise your inner child but, all rights and privileges flow through the parents, not the child.
    Taking the kid to a music store to try on different mouthpieces is like taking a 3 year old to a shoe store and saying to them "pick out a pair of shoes that feels good".
    The bottom line is:
    A child starting out or anyone starting out has no concept of what is a fit. That's why starting out with a mid size mouthpiece is a reasonable idea. Once they become experienced at the trumpet, then THEY CAN MAKE A INFORMED DECISION. How is a kid or anybody for that fact, to make an informed decision when they know nothing about the topic at hand?
    Answer?....They can't.

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I had a grandfather that had a mentality like that. It's interesting that you chose shoes as an example because he would buy us shoes and make us wear them even if they were too small and hurt. Love my "Gradder", hated the shoes he bought us. Nothing reasonable about you illogic on choosing a 7C mpc. That's tantamount to giving the child a pair of 9D shoes because it's what most men wear and then asking them to figure out whether it works for them. If you were a custom mpc maker, well, you're not, are you?! Children do have rights. Ask the legal system. Please explain why someone would not make an informed decision BEFORE they buy a mpc? There are reams of information out there about mouthpieces so anyone can make an informed decision prior to plunking down their hard earned money. Your mpc advice is "Stone Age", as well as your view of children.

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    tobylou sez:
    Nothing reasonable about your illogic on choosing a 7C mpc.
    -------------------
    Now let me get this right. Because your grandpa couldn't size shoes correctly for your feet when you were a kid, recommending a Bach 7C (a mid sized mouthpiece) is illogical.
    Damned, I don't even know where to start with this type of logic.
    Glennx, yes, by all means, take your kid to a music store and let him pick whatever he wants.
    However, just to prove my point, when you go to the music store, line up 8 or 9 mouthpieces and make a couple of them baritone mouthpieces and a couple cornet mouthpieces.
    My guess is unless the kid is already full formed and ready to go on the horn, they'll need some assistance. There's a reason, Bach puts a Bach 7C in almost all their trumpets that they sell. The Bach 7C is the default mouthpiece size for the planet.
    Tobylou, I've read quite a bit of your stuff and I can only say one thing.. I'm gonna go ahead and skip the Christmas rush and put you and the ignore pile now.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    You shouldn't start any where. Your advise about the 7C is outdated. Your status quo mentality doesn't help glennx at all. You give him general advise at best and you have never even seen his son. Glennx should do his own research based on the responses and info gained on this forum. My grandpa listened to the salesman and the salesman didn't know what he was doing (or even cared) other than moving shoes out the door. If Glennx goes to a music store there's a 99% chance the clerk will recommend a 7C (pack mentality). My logic is to give glennx's kid the best possible start to a hopefully long and enjoyable time with the trumpet and music. IF you've really read my threads, you will know I don't care whether a player uses a 7C are not. For some players its perfect, not so for others. Your personal attacks on those that don't agree with you is childish. Smithi20 just asked logical questions and you tried to slam him. I am saddened that I won't be on your Christmas list. I was hoping for a lime green or hot pink ring mute. Oh well, so much for miles of coolness.