Starting cornet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by chet fan, Jul 3, 2009.

1. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    Starting cornet (maybe fluglehorn)

I play trumpet and would like to play cornet as well

Can you tell me what are the main differences between trumpet and cornet and are there differences to valve combinations and what cornet would you reccomand me. My skill is between low and intermediate

also I have all this questions for flugelhorn

and what do you reccomand me cornet or flugelhorn?

thank you

Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Chet,

Depends on what you are looking forward. If your preferred style is classical than a cornet is more desirable. If you are more into jazz/commercial/brass ensembles a flugelhorn would be probably more useful. Now about playing...

1. The fingerings do not differ from trumpet
    2. Flugel and cornet require better embouchure control and more intimate mental approach
    3. Often those instruments are played with deeper V shaped cup mouthpieces. However, American style long cornet are often played with C cup mouthpiece.
    4. When choosing mouthpieces for your new cornet/flugel make sure that you have the right shank mouthpiece to fit your particular instrument - flugel have many different mp receiver sizes and some older "vintage" cornets (like Olds) may have different from contemporary standard size mp receivers.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  3. Cornet1

Cornet1 Pianissimo User

May 22, 2005
    Essex, England
    Trumpetnick has given excellent advice,..I would only add that you will progress much better an dfaster with a modern cornet mouthpiece such as a Denis Wick as they are much superior to the older 'deep V cup' items. They give a clearer sound with better and easier control. Good Luck!

4. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Trumpetnick's points are well taken. What cornet you start up also includes factors of how much you can afford to pay , new or used, student or pro models(or inbetween).
    Ideally you would have a chance to try some out first. Ebay has many levels of cornets for sale, some great, some not so good.

Proven student models from Olds, King, Holton, Getzen, Conn and others would be good brand choices to "get your feet wet" without paying a lot.

I have gotten back into cornet playing a couple of years ago after many years of only trumpet and have enjoyed my experiences with different instruments (all used and cheap) and learning more as I have gone along. I frequently play one on certain concert band tunes and the swing band I am in. In addition to my current cornets, I have had a fine Olds Ambassador, Vintage Besson 8-10, Reynolds Emporer and others that didn't work out.
    Be sure to verify the condition of any instrument as best you can.

5. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    well I'm interested in Jazz mainly, so I think it will be flugelhorn after reading your comments

regarding monies, well I can spend up to 300euros (500 dollars)

tell me, I also have Yamaha pickup mute system called silent brass that I use for my trumpet, will it fit flugelhorn also or not

regarding MPs I use 7c (dunno which one because nothing than 7c is written on it) thats the one that came with trumpet and I never bothered changing it, I just learned to play with it.

6. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    You will need a different mute for the Yamaha silent brass, bigger, also the flugel takes a different mouthpiece.

7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    be careful of the cheap flugels they are not worth the money. Stay with a brand name flugel. I've never had a problem switching between trumpet, cornet or flugel. It's a very easy double. You can get a 7C flugel to match your trpt. mpc.. Some names to look for: Yamaha, Bach, Getzen, Conn, Holton, Olds, Leblanc, Kanstal, Besson, Benge, Blessing, King. Posters, have I left any out?

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The typical cornet is a wimpy trumpet.

9. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Who you callin' TYPICAL? It could be that a typical trumpet is a cornet that has come unwound. After all, cornets have bigger bores, bigger bells, and bigger valves than trumpets...and SIZE MATTERS!

10. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    A fine example of cylindrical thinking. :laughwave: