starting note difficult for me

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by songbook, Jul 7, 2011.

1. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Is this A difficult on any trumpet that you try it on?

2. Myszolow

Myszolow Pianissimo User

Apr 23, 2011
    Surely not flatter enough to make that much difference? Also, that doesn't exlain why notes above A slot more easily though.

3. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    using the third valve with faster air has eliminated my over use of mouthpiece pressure. It almost feels like I'm hitting a G# instead of the A. Thank you all for helping out. I'll be sure to work on the other tips as well.

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    well.. since we're guessing Robin's reasoning..I am going with the mental side ... after cracking the note using 1+2 the brain's synapses start building that association ... the 3rd valve changes it up ... probably also makes you think more about the new fingering than worrying about cracking the note..
    that's my take :)

5. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

It just takes being a tiny bit off to make one miss.

If the higher notes are easier the horn is probably partially at fault.

6. catello

catello Pianissimo User

Dec 14, 2009
    Winter Park, FL
    My guess is the reason is going to turn out to be the science behind how air travels through the horn and the specific path differences through the tubing based on the valves pressed. I'm thinking that the air is going to flow through the 3rd valve slide if 3rd is pressed and when 1&2 are pressed it actually passes through both of those valve slides - more bends/bouncing of the air waves could impact the sound and the slotting.

Looking forward to the "official" explanation!

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    You may have something here as well. The Ab above staff is the next one that is a bit of a challenge. Not so with the Eb, F, Bb (all with a traditional 1 valve hit) or even the E, G and C above staff that is played open.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Another interesting thought in limiting the number of valves to improve accuracy is when we want to shake a note (purposefully make it less accurate) I find it so much easier to shake the high C by using the 2 finger alternative. Very interesting!

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    You blokes make me giggle - Robin said he would get back to us, and we have all had a bit of a guess - surely, a tad of patience until he is ready would work too? ;-) (I tried 3rd valve on that A too BTW :oops:)

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Robin you're torturing us. Let us know. We need to know!