starting note difficult for me

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by songbook, Jul 7, 2011.

1. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Lads, lads, a little patience if you please - the OP hasn't had his allocated "week or two" ...... relax, all things will come to those who wait, and good things come in small parcels - now, about my Weril EP4071 goldplated pocket trumpet ......... :D

2. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

The answers are in my posts.

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    agreed.. I don't think Robin wants the reason to be out until after he has tried a few weeks... which looks good for my explaination :thumbsup:

4. Myszolow

Myszolow Pianissimo User

Apr 23, 2011
    So, this thread has been silent for 12 days.

To the OP. Have you been doing your homework? Are you hitting the A better with 3rd valve?

Robin, have you got an answer for us? [​IMG] Why does it work more easily?

5. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

An' like dat.

6. Myszolow

Myszolow Pianissimo User

Apr 23, 2011
    I'm quite prepared to believe that you may be right Brian. :-)
    But I still want to hear Robin's opinion on the subject.

I think the OP has to post back his progress report before Robin will give us his opinion though.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have a job, a family and a horn, that is why I am not here 24/7.

Brian actually mentioned quite a bit.

First of all, if we have run into a wall repeatedly, does it make sense to keep banging away until the wall crumbles? Usually not. The third valve is first and foremost a psychological alternative.

Additionally, lipping down is MUCH more susceptible to cracking a note than lipping up. The fact that we are tense after missing a particular note repeatedly and 1+2 is a bit sharp, there is a combination of issues. 3 alone is a bit flat and that offers a little more security.

If we look at the real problem however, it is probably more related to the players breathing. I will bet that they inhale way in advance, hold the air in until they start to play. That adds additional tension that must be released before playing. That is sin #1 according to my method of teaching. If I were to work with this player, we would not practice air "attacks". We would practice my circle of breath. Inhale/immediate exhale with no tonguing. When the movement becomes fluid, we replace exhale with play.

So by using 3, we offered songbook a fresh opportunity that is a bit flatter to compensate for body tension, confidence was increased and it worked. The next step is to get the breathing right and if the horn has a first valve trigger or thumb hook, to use it to get the intonation spot on with 1+2.

For players working their way up, the same thing will happen one octave higher too. The procedure is the same, find an alternative, use it, develop confidence and then look at the big picture to solve the issue.

p.s. for those of you that offer the advice to "hear the note" before playing it, this piece is a no brainer. The intro before the trumpet note is several As in octaves : quarter, rest, quarter, rest, quarter, quarter, half, quarter, rest, quarter, rest, quarter, quarter, half. Not hearing the note means deafness.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Rowuk,

Everything you stated above makes complete sense and you state it so which such clarity. It was worth the one and a half weeks to read this response.

And related to the first part of your quote:
    Are we not your family?

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Nope, you are part of the horn. Tucked away deep inside. Some of you VERY close to the spit key....................

turtlejimmy likes this.
  10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    ...... and some the deposits on the inside of the leadpipe, some the beautiful music that emminates forth ...... you choose. Me, I'm the latter :lol:.