starting note difficult for me

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by songbook, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Myszolow

Myszolow Pianissimo User

Apr 23, 2011
    Thanks for your reply Robin. In fact thank you for all your replies. I didn't want you to feel harranged, merely wanted to bump the thread back up in the hope of getting confirmation of the answer, since it looked as if it had fallen off the map.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hi M,
    no problem. I said that the thread owner need to try something for a week or so and then get back. I do not believe in overnight success when training the body/ears/mind is involved.

As far as the spit key goes, it seems like most missed what I was trying to say. To figure this out, play your favorite tune - slowly -! Open the spit key on every note. Quite often there is no difference in sound, only drivel. At other times there are VERY big differences in the sound worth analysis. Those close to the spit key, simply have more effect. I guess most of you thought that emptying the spit key was like flushing a toilet. It is far more selective! Try the experiment and then think about where you would like to be.

By the way, I had an open air concert last night. It was pretty cool on stage and the spit key was important. We had a few pieces with long stretches of playing and no rests. Knowing what notes do not change when draining/drivelling is VERY useful! Moisture in the horn could also ruin a high entry.

That being said, the moisture in the horn may start life as saliva, is actually the product of condensation on the tube walls. That means the aerosols in the spit end up as grunge that we should clean out regularly and that what comes out of the spitvalve is far less yucky than the naive may think......... How else could that gooey stuff develop?