STARTING ON G or C (3RD SPACE) NOTES?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by LeeMorganFan, Jul 5, 2011.

1. LeeMorganFan

LeeMorganFan New Friend

Apr 7, 2011
    NYC
    Hey Guys,
    Hope everyone had an awesome 4th of July! Quick question, in Eby's Scientific Method for Cornet & Trumpet, the author strictly advocates the beginner start with the middle C note as opposed to the G note. However, in many other books, the G note is the first note the beginning student is advised to start with. What do you guys think? As always, many thanks!

Roberto

2. Darten

Darten Mezzo Piano User

Dec 21, 2009
    New York City
    Try both and move one from the one you can do better.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    This - ultimately I'm not sure that it matters that much though. G or C, they all have to be learned at some point.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I start the students where THEY land. There is no optimal value in the beginning. That comes 20,000 hours later when every note counts.

5. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    I am with rowuck...

Put the horn on their face and see what not they can "normally" blow... then get that tone focused and work up or down towards the others.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I like the Heimat tone concept of Gerald Webster.

Gerald Webster discovered that when we play a medium high, medium low, medium loud tone on our mothpiece first thing in the day, the same pitch will come out, our personal "home" tone, or Heimat tone (he discovered this while touring with Edward Tarr in Germany, thus the name). "Personal" means just that, each person has his/her own Heimat tone -- there is no "good" "bad" or "ideal."

7. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    I'll bet 'Eby's Scientific Method' was written in the early 20th century. Back then they seemed to attach the term "science" or "scientific" to anything..."Dr Fong's Scientific Love Enamel - Guaranteed to prevent rust, cure warts, AND find the love of your life!"

But seriously, even as a newbie it seems to me too much emphasis is put on doing things precisely this way or that or else!!!!. We're not made of glass.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Vulgano Brother likes this.