Starting Over: Fixing Embouchures

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by choppies26, Feb 21, 2010.

1. choppies26

choppies26 New Friend

Feb 7, 2010
    New York
    So I'm a senior in high school and I'm trying to fix my embouchure and use less pressure. Has anybody else had to start over like this? My range dropped an octave and my tone is pretty bad. I've heard a lot of people have to start over in college to get a "correct embouchure" and I was wondering if anybody would share how long it took them to get back to normal and how much they practiced, etc...

2. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    Are you doing this with a teacher? Probably a good idea, since if your embouchure wasn't right from the getgo, you may change it incorrectly. Any change like this is going to take alot of time----and patience. Start pretty much back where you should have been practicing anyway with long tones and short interval slurs. A teacher will help you chart your progress and be able to watch that you don't attempt to go ahead too fast, or veer off course. There is plenty of advice on embouchure changes on this site if you search for it.

3. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    I stay STOP! And get a teacher if you haven't already! Doing it yourself is a recipe for disaster!

4. choppies26

choppies26 New Friend

Feb 7, 2010
    New York
    My teacher is the one who suggested it so don't worry =] I'm just wondering how long it takes for most players to get back to normal because this is a little frustrating.

5. abtrumpet

abtrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2009
    It will be hard to do if you have something currently going on (school band I assume). But it will definitely be worth making the switch. Good luck, and keep us updated on your progress.

Off-topic: This is the 7,000th thread in the Trumpet Discussion Forum :D

6. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    I started over like this in 11th grade. Don't worry, however. If your teacher is good and you are doing what he says, then you'll will make lots of progress beyond where you started. It just takes some time.

7. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    First of all, you're not starting over. The skills you have will help you with your goal. Also, there's a device (150.00 USD) that goes in the trumpet reciever that helps with using pressure. I bought one and boy-o-boy does it work well. You'll have to search around for Mouthpiece Pressure Device. The one I bought has no brand name but it does say:
    Joachim Dolling and its made in Germany.

8. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    When I was a senior in high school I was hit in my upper lip and it was split open inside and out. I developed scar tissue and had no endurance , I used to set very low on my top lip. My teacher suggested moving the mouthpiece up higher on my top lip so the scar would be inside the cup, and not directly under the rim. When I first made the change I sounded like a beginner , but ten months later I was back playing and sounding better than I did before. That was back in the stone age 1967.

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Count on about 725 hours serious practice time. By then you'll be pretty darned good!