Starting some new Books

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mchs3d, Oct 8, 2014.

1. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    I've been starting some new books lately. I'm fed up with not having the range to play some of my pieces and also not having the stamina to get through a piccolo concerto. One thing I am starting (or more like returning to) is the Carmine Caruso method. Anybody out there used this? I've heard that many guys swear by it. In conjunction with this I found a lesser-known Clarke book called Clarke's Setup Studies. Basically it's all Clarke 1 with some extended requirements. These methods, I hope, will help me build strength. Yes, I know, air is extremely important, too! Trying to improve everything at once.

2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    I usually start my practice with the Caruso six notes exercise then the seconds taking as far as I am comfortable without straining, then a mixture from Schlossberg and Clarke, scales and interval studies, then I change to French horn and practice the orchestra bits I am having trouble with.

A couple of times a week I will do the 19/30s exercise by Rusty Russell from the other site, I find this very relaxing and a good endurance and tone builder.

Regards, Stuart.