starting to feel bad...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet 101, Nov 2, 2009.

1. trumpet 101

trumpet 101 Pianissimo User

Jan 8, 2009
    Arkansas
    hello,

im a freshman in high school and i cant play above an a above the stave with out having a brittle sound and all the other freshman can easily get out a C above the stave.... i practice like im supposed to, i actually practice more than the others, i just started taking lessons from a pirvate teacher and outside of an hour lesson a practice atleast two hours everyday now. i do practice the Arbans book, but how can i increase my range? (i do know range isnt everything, but it does help having range)

thanks,
    Blake

2. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    Range will come in time, so don't worry about it. Some people will develop slower than others, it's normal so just deal with it. Practice 6 days a week, taking 1 as a break. Lip slurs, Articulations, Long tones, method books, free play and then more fundamentals. Practice practice practice. When something becomes too easy then move on, no use practicing something easy when there are hard things to practice.

Enjoy

3. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    Colin's Lip Flexibilities really helped me out.
    Good luck,
    -Andrew

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    I suggest doing lip slurs using all valve combinations.
    Start as low as you can and go as high as you can and then, come back down. Always play with a good sound and slur smoothly. It will be REALLY HARD when you first start and it will wear your butt out, but if you stick with it your abilities will increase.
    Here are all 7 combinations

5. trumpet 101

trumpet 101 Pianissimo User

Jan 8, 2009
    Arkansas
    thanks! and ill do lip slurs more, i do practice them, but ill start doing them more

6. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

I couldn't either, I had a clean G at the top of the staff freshman year of high school, and good sound. I couldn't play fast or high. I was co-first chair senior year.

Practice, and practice smart (the second part is more important). Practice makes permanent. You say you practice two hours, 2 hrs can be either very helpful, or completely useless depending on you and what you do.

7. abtrumpet

abtrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2009
    One way I work on my range is playing chromatic scales up to a comfortable high note, and hold it as long as I can. Stick with this for a few weeks and your range will bump up with time.

Good luck :thumbsup:

8. sj3209

sj3209 Piano User

Nov 22, 2006
    Amador County, Calif.
    I'm going to stick my nose in here even though I'm not one of the experts. I'm just a lowly comebacker who practices a lot and listens. I'm also a proponent of Claude Gordon's Systematic Approach to Daily Practice.

Brittle is what you said. To me that screams not enough breath support. If you add that, then you have to balance that with some resistance behind the mouthpiece. That means to me some combination of chop compression/tongue arch.

Okay, experts, jump in.

9. Trumpet-Girl

Trumpet-Girl New Friend

Apr 23, 2009
    Earth
    It will come out eventually. Don't worry.

10. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Practice everyday ,play long tones and lip slurs very softly .Make an attempt to increase your range each day, but don't force it, rest as long as you play,practice arpeggios as high as you can ,then try the next 1/2 step up, alternate between the tongue and the slur, one day slur, one day tongue, slurring is usually the easier way . Use as little pressure as possible,let your air do the work. Tell your teacher about your worries ,if that doesn't help maybe you should find a teacher who can.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009