starting to feel bad...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet 101, Nov 2, 2009.

1. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I know the feeling, I had the same problem as you back freshman year, I can describe the exercise I did once a day and still do during my hour practices at home.

It is in 4/4 time all slured here goes;
    half note G - half note A - whole note G; Rest for 4;
    half note A - half note B - whole note A; Rest for 4;
    half note B half note C whole note B;
    and so on an so forth.
    When you finally crash as is expected wait 15 second and pick up where you left off and go as far as you can.

Keep your throat open, thats the trick and so is using your abs, like flexing them and push from below.

If your playing with your corners back and down its should help you out as it did me.

I believe their called crusibles if im not mistaken. I just have em memorized I forgot the name. You lessons teacher should know.

Im a junior at the moment and I have anywhere from an F-G above high C. Takes awhile but its worth it.

if none of this makes any sense message me and ill try to make it a bit clearer. It takes time. but its worth it

2. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

That's the CARUSO seconds exercise, also he has six notes and a variety of other exercises to build endurance.
    Definitely not for everyone and not unless you have a teacher who can work you through it.

3. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Thanks for correcting it, I thought I had close to what it was called, and yes, ask your private lessons teacher about it.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Blake,
    you get better by doing the things that are good for you. That happens fastest with a good teacher.

If you don't have a teacher, then trial and error are all that is left. Get ready for spending at least half of your time non-productively.

If you read a bit here you will find reference to a DAILY routine, you will find plenty of rants and flames for players that do not work out the basics but whine about "advanced" stuff like range.

The trumpet demands first things first:
    1) breathing
    2) basic routine with long tones, lipslurs and basic articulation
    3) plenty of tunes

AFTER that comes the stuff to build things like power and glory.

Arban is only a book. Without the proper approach and control, it is no better than no book at all.

Contrary to a couple of posts: range does NOT come with time. It comes to those that earn it. Students that learn the right way from the beginning have a BIG advantage over those that think that they can figure it out by themselves. After messing around for a while it is double hard to learn the correct habits.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  5. LSN1052

LSN1052 New Friend

Sep 5, 2009
    Lee's Summit, Missouri
    (I hate to be the one to post after rowuk)

As many have said previoulsy that was my EXACT situation freshman year. I am a junior now and have been first chair my sophmore and junior year. sometimes i feel i shouldnt because i can still only play a A/B flat consistantly. But that only proves that range is not everything. Work with your teacher on your range: they know whats up. all of the exercises that have been mentioned are great. So i cant give you an automatic exercise that will automatically give you above a C.

I know my problem (it still is a problem) is my emborchure and fundamentals. By that i mean that i developed the wrong technique when i tried to play high. I tense up and use to much pressure, it takes a lot to over come that. I still havent.

So comin from a student that is in your exact situation.

Listen to all of these geniuses (^^rowuk^^) and your teacher. Practice what they tell you. Practice it right. Dont force your high notes out. You can only play what you what you can play correctly. Be patient and by next year. You will be #1 (maybe my schools juniors and seniors just sucked).

Oh and practice over the summer, reeally get a routine and you will not only catch up but DOMINATE the other freshman. You can do it, it is possible.

6. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Brave one you are, LSN1052!

t101-
    And practice over Thanksgiving and Xmas breaks and all the other days off. You should feel fairly uncomfortable if you are headed to bed and have not practiced that day.
    Intelligent practice, guided by a teacher, is the answer. Forget thinking about range and instead think about playing music the best you can. Every note is the most important one when you are playing it.

v

7. LSN1052

LSN1052 New Friend

Sep 5, 2009
    Lee's Summit, Missouri
    A--MEN. that is the true meaning of life [trumpet playing] :thumbsup:

8. abtrumpet

abtrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2009
    You don't need to have a teacher to know how to practice.

Just cover the basics (lip slurs, long tones, scales, tonguing, etc.) and if you do it correctly and stick to it you should progress. If not and all else fails you should find a teacher to help you.