Starting To Lose Hope!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by LeeMorganFan, Jun 25, 2011.

1. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Sing the tone (say a low C) before you play it as if you were Luciano Pavarotti, then play the same note with the same air that you just sang with.

I see lots of beginner kids that sound like the Aflac duck with a sinus infection and this tip helps them with the concept of putting the air THROUGH the horn, rather than INTO the horn.

Play that low C as if you had to blow out the candles on a birthday cake with the wind that comes out of the bell.
    Got it??

Then...

What if the cake was 5 feet away!?

At first it will just be LOUDER, but you will learn to harness that raw energy and focus it on the center of the tone. To demonstrate this I SING the low C, then I buzz the low C with just my chops, then I buzz the low C on the mpc, then finally the cam note on the horn.

The trumpet doesn't play the note, YOU DO... the trumpet amplifies it and defines the sound timbre... but if your BUZZ sucks and has no air support then it will be the same on the horn.

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I concur with all that has been said and will throw this out there for you to ponder. Does your teacher have a track record with beginning students? If they do, soldier on. If they don't, you might want to find a teacher that has such a track record. I think you need more than 1/2 hr a day. If you can't do it all at once, break it up and do some in the am and the other in the pm. If we all quit when we sounded bad, there would be few of us here to give each other help. Just hang in there.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

3. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    The broken notes are because your lip muscles aren't used to playing the trumpet yet. Every time you play, you are working toward a certain sound as a goal, and eventually your lips will match your goal. Trumpets and I guess other brass instruments are the worst at the beginning. My neighbor told me recently that when I first started, I sounded like a dying dog! It's frustrating because you might be surrounded by instruments like guitars and pianos, which never really sound bad. Woodwinds might sound bad but in an entirely different way. If you can make a sound two months in, you are on track. It took me half a year to get the buzz into the trumpet. Keep at it; later years are more rewarding

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    once again...everyone here is giving solid advice...
    for what it's worth..my first year at trumpet I sucked... the elementary band director told me I would never amount to anything... but I loved playing. I played the horn alot though.. all the time in fact .. and had fun.
    Your muscles are building up, as they do your mouthpiece will find a home... let's call it the happy place.
    Like Robin said.. find a hymn book or somg book of stuff you love... and play the heck out of it.. for your folks... play it with your friends ... just play...
    Don't let that horn of yours wind up on eBay or in someone's garage unplayed for years...
    find some recordings of players you like and listen to them... and them copy them .. play along with them too..even if you totally suck at it ...
    This is one cool instrument.. and from what I hear you know it... dream a little.

5. LeeMorganFan

LeeMorganFan New Friend

Apr 7, 2011
    NYC
    Wow! You guys rock! I just got in and read all of these responses and I must admit I feel a whole lot better. A lot of what's been stated here makes perfectly good sense. I'll admit, I was feeling really frustrated earlier today and even though the thought that I would never get this did cross my mind a few times, I'm no quitter. This means too much to me to just quit.

Earlier today I received a PM from a member here who responded to my post. He too suggested me emulating blowing out a candle and using that as the basis of my embouchure. I immediately tried it and although it was difficult to hit a middle C note, my tone sounded a little better. It broke up a few times but I'm going to go at it again tomorrow morning.

I'm also going to try some of the other suggestions mentioned on this thread. Thank you all once again for your responses. YOU GUYS ROCK!!!

Lakerjazz, your post made me laugh so hard but it also inspired me as well, thanks dude!!

Roberto

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    perfect!!!

7. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    although i am learning as well, i find it easier, ans faster to develop a nicer done by trying to create the same tone as your favourite trumpet player.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I am my favorite trumpet player. Does that mean that I will never get better?

Loving thy neighbor as thyself implies a very strong sense of self value!

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The trumpet is an unforgiving lady that requires much experience to tame. If you tense up when you carress her, she will feel it. Relax, give it time, continue to court her and let her know she is the one with who you wish to connect and you will win that lady's charm. If you give up your persuit, you WILL lose her. The trumpet is a beautiful and sensual, yet an unforgiving lady.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Or as I ask myself: "Practice makes perfect; but no body's perfect; so why practice?" - I live by THE answer to this question and it in fact this has made me a better player, just as rowuk's highly reflective question he asks above has directed his quest for excellence, I would bet.