Starting To Lose Hope!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by LeeMorganFan, Jun 25, 2011.

1. avidflyr

avidflyr New Friend

Jun 26, 2011
    Nature Coast Florida
    Cheers to all,
    Just joined the site as I am returning to my first Love. 45 years later (High School Band). I played Coronet and had a Coronet playing instructor
    named Herbert Ludwig, a very demanding man on us brass students.He moved me to first trumpet my second year (6th grade). Sort of a trial by fire, it worked.
    So now I'm searching for the right horn, music for practice methods , and advise on a mouth piece.
    There didn't seem to be any science to lip work and the proper mouth piece back then. Just use the one that came with the horn and mash it in to the lip to get higher range. More practice brought more pain.
    I understand the frustrations the new students have and appreciate
    the great advise on this site.
    So here we go.

AVIDFLYR

2. Maurito Sosa

Maurito Sosa New Friend

May 10, 2011
    São Paulo, Brasil
    One thing I just learned is not to keep on changing your lips set while playing.
    there´se no need to search actully. The best thing that worked for me was to put the horn straight to my mouth and blow without altering it. From that i noticed I coud make easy sound just by relaxing my lips. Before that i coud only play attacking (ta, tu) and now I can just make sound.
    If the sound is comming out only hardly, then you´re probably just focusing on your lips and not in your air usage. Try to forget obout the lips set for a while and just blow!
    This is an opinion from a starter, but maybe its worthit because it seem I just been trough the same problem!

3. Maurito Sosa

Maurito Sosa New Friend

May 10, 2011
    São Paulo, Brasil
    And another thing that helped was my MP
    I had a 7C wich seemed to be too small for my lips, after changing to a 1 1/2 C the lip vibration had more space, and i didn´t had to "form it" so the sound would fit

4. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    I believe that 1/2 hour a day, while not optimal, would be enough for gradual improvement.:dontknow: There have been many, many days of 1/2 hour (or less) in my trumpet playing life, and I am much better than my first day. But I am in total agreement with point #2: Don't give up......unless you just don't love it.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
    jdangel38 likes this.
  5. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Roberto if you really want to learn to make it work easily. Contact me. We can set up web lessons.

6. jdangel38

jdangel38 Pianissimo User

Jun 9, 2011
    If you like to play the trumpet stick with it. Playing an instrument Is one of the most rewarding things you can do. Many people realize it when they grow older. If you have only been playing such a short time, you need to realize that improvent comes with time spent on the instrument. Play a lot, but get a good teacher, and try and get involved in lots of musical groups. If you get good teaching and surround yourself with good players who help you out, you should have no trouble improving your playing.