Starting trumpet/cornet could use some advice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Stawberry, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Stawberry

Stawberry New Friend

Jul 19, 2009
    Hi all,

I'm a jazz student in Belgium, playing electric and double bass and recently got the urge to learn the trumpet/cornet (I'm leaning more towards cornet). But ofcourse I've got some questions.

First of all whats the difference (except for sound ofcourse) between a trumpet and a cornet?
    Does silver and gold laquered instruments differ in sound, because I quite like silver look.
    Do trumpet types/brands change the sound significally?
    If so I would like to have the Miles Davis trumpet sound he had in Miles Davis and the Modern Jazz Giants or early jazz sound with a cornet.
    Then what should I buy? I've got about 600-900 euros to spend and I'll probably order from Thomann.
    Ive been looking at this for trumpet: JUPITER JP-702 RL-F BB-TROMPETE - Belgium International Cyberstore or YAMAHA YTR-2335 S TROMPETE - Belgium International Cyberstore. And this for cornet YAMAHA YCR-2330 SII BB-KORNETT - Belgium International Cyberstore there is also a "longer model" YAMAHA YCR-2310 SII BB-KORNETT - Belgium International Cyberstore whats the difference between these two?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance for your replies.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Stawberry,
    welcome to TM,
    Unlike electric instruments where you can "duplicate" sounds by buying the same equipment, brass instruments have human "lips" as the sound generator. They are as individual as fingerprints - so your sound will be too! The instrument will not be able to "duplicate" another players sound.

For the first 4 or 5 years of playing, silver and laquer are only cosmetic. After that, there is only a small but for some players, important difference.

A cornet is a member of the horn family. It sounds softer and not as agressive. For some it is easier to play.

Any of the instruments that you list are fine, but none of them will make you a jazz giant. That is a function of your devotion, ears and talent - just like with the guitar. My suggestion is NOT to buy from Thomann, but to find a student studying jazz trumpet, go to a music store with them and have them demonstrate.

I did it the other way around. I started with cornet/trumpet and then picked up guitar, electric and acoustic bass. Trumpet is MUCH harder because we have to synchronize very small muscle movement in the face with proper breathing and finger movement. Developing powerful but delicate face muscles takes time. There are no shortcuts. This also works best when you have a teacher. As you are studying, maybe you can find a trumpet player like me that wants to learn bass and trade lessons. Believe me you will not be sorry.

The difference between all those cornets is insignificant for the first couple of years. The longer model sounds a bit brighter with some players.

Get local help.

3. Stawberry

Stawberry New Friend

Jul 19, 2009
    Thank you for answer to my questions. One more thing though are there any brands you can recommend or I should stay away from.
    My friend proposed following brands: Yamaha, Jupiter and Blessing.
    Oh and although you recommended not to buy from Thomann the thing is my friend who plays the trumpet is on holiday till mid august and I got lessons in a week and a half so I'll need an instrument.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The only company that I have 100% success purchasing blind was Yamaha. Non of my students ever had to send anything back.

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    The three brands you mention all make good student horns. Of the tree Yamaha has the best quality control and just makes a better trumpet.

6. Ursa

Ursa Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    Northern Michigan
    Regarding Yamaha, please consider this: I purchased a Yamaha euphonium back in '94 and it developed a couple of problems. The horn was sent into Yamaha for warranty work, but Yamaha didn't fix it--instead, they sent me a brand-new, newly-redesigned horn that played better than the one I sent in.

Buy a Yamaha with confidence!

7. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I have a Yamaha 2310. When I first started playing it, I found it hard to make a good sound. I thought it was the cornet that was at fault. After practicing for awhile, I suddenly found that it sounded great. It was just me. I also have a Blessing which plays very nicely - and some others as well. I don't think that you can go wrong with any of the models you mentioned. At your stage of progression, it will take some time before you are at the point where the minuscule differences between them will start to make any difference to you. Good luck in this new phase of your music career.

8. marsuleu

marsuleu Piano User

Mar 30, 2009
    Bucharest , Romania
    Hello Stawberry !
    If you are about to spend 600-900E , than I suggest you to choose Yamaha . of course, there are many other good beginer/intermediate horns for that money , but just like the others colleagues said, Yamaha offers you a safety choise . Stay away from chinesse stuffs , they have poor quality , and many of them are impracticable ( they prevent you learning instead helping you ).
    If you are going to play jazz ( of course, this it will happen after many years of study), then maybe trumpet is a better choice . Cornet has a softer tone , suitable for classic music.
    YAMAHA YTR-2335 TROMPETE - Belgium International Cyberstore
    YAMAHA YTR-4335 G TROMPETE - Belgium International Cyberstore

9. Stawberry

Stawberry New Friend

Jul 19, 2009
  10. marsuleu

marsuleu Piano User

Mar 30, 2009
    Bucharest , Romania
    Best choice ! I have an 4335G ( lacquer finish) , and it's the best intermediate horn for the price . very good quality ( finish, fast and smooth valves, intonation , tone - everything is good )
    Use the valve oil , silde grease and polishing cloth that came along with your trumpet to keep it clean&oiled !