stay open in high register

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by brassman, Nov 28, 2008.

1. brassman

brassman New Friend

Oct 28, 2008
    Hello,
    has anyone ideas on types of excercises you can do to stay more open in the upper register. When I ascend, I tend to close my aperture completely.
    thanks for any suggestions in this matter

brassman,

2. BrassOnLine

BrassOnLine Piano User

Nov 22, 2007
    Spain
    Here you have some exercises from my project method.
    Hope it helps to you to expand your range as well as to get what you need.
    Best wishes !!!

3. brassman

brassman New Friend

Oct 28, 2008
    euh, where is here? ;)
    brassman

4. mrmusicnotes

mrmusicnotes Piano User

Nov 11, 2007
    N.Y.C.
    I would suggest playing nice and soft (pp) )up there when you practice.Sounds like you might be closing down your embrosure to keep your lips from blowing apart? Getting your high register down solid in piano and gradually increasing the intensity I think is the way to go.I also like doing the flexiblity section in Arbans (I think pgs.40"s), helps set things right.Kind of hard to play these inproperly at speed.Hope some of this helps

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Ummm,
    brassman, the aperature does get smaller with increasing frequency - physics 101. Big aperature does not mean big sound. It means air in your sound for most players.

If your sound is thin up high, you need lessons from a teacher that knows what they are doing. They will give you breathing exercizes, long tones and lip slurs and most likely tell you to play them pianissimo. It is generally good advice to listen to good advice!

There is no cheat. Hard work, years of it build extreme chops. Experiments build frustration. Get a teacher and ignore internet advice. You don't know in advance if what is recommended is good for you until you discover that you are getting nowhere fast - then it is too late.

6. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    First of all there should be no aperture or opening between your lips ,they should always be touching in order to buzz, the air stream creates the aperture. if you mean your upper register chokes off as you ascend it could be one or a combination of things which might include breathing,mouthpiece pressure, or even embochure ,if you can ,find a teacher who knows how to ,and can play up there ,not all can,for a teacher , try a local college maybe their jazz lead player or faculty .

7. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Al,
    you are absolutely right. The aperature is a product of embouchure strength and air pressure. We only need to think about having practiced enough to get the embouchure strong and breathing correctly to produce sound properly. All of this aperature stuff is just avoiding the issue of practicing enough and the right way!

8. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    rowuk,
    I think the big problem is what these student`s teachers are telling them too much useless information about how a mouthpiece should be so many micro millimeters from up , down ,take in so many psi of air , aperture should be what I don`t know, how does anyone measure all this and still play relaxed. Why don`t they just guide the student and let him use his own ear to listen to his tone , tongue ,breathing [if you can yell you can breath naturally] its not rocket science its music and it should be fun , I know it takes work but should still be fun.

9. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Al,
    let's just start calling it "M"bouchure. That is the secret, no slide rule or calipers needed!

10. TisEkard

TisEkard Pianissimo User

Jul 28, 2006
    L.A./Orange County CA
    James Stamp method, stay up while going down, and stay down while going up.