stay open in high register

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by brassman, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Kenzo

Kenzo Pianissimo User

Nov 18, 2003
    Bristol, Connecticut
    Thank you Al Innella and Rowuk for bringing logic and experience to this issue. Lots of bad advice out there.

One book I used with my students (that Joe Mosello had me use) is "Corners" by Allan Colin. When practiced correctly this really opened up my sound and gave me (and my students) command and control in the upper register.

I enjoy reading both Al's and Rowuk's posts.

Thanks.

2. ADDER

ADDER Pianissimo User

May 25, 2008
    London UK
    I'd just like to add, I've been playing for 8 months now and had the fortune to find this forum early on. I don't have the funds to get a tutor so Rowuks and many of the others on this forum have helped me tons.

I have concentrated on Long tones and lip slurs very quietly, something I didn't do in the beginning. My range has increased from C on the stave to D above high C. And I don't mean just hitting these notes I mean playing them.

These people talk common sense, I practice daily and I always start with Quiet long tones and slurs before I even go near Arbans.

It works, It takes time, but then nothing good comes without effort.
    If you can't afford a tutor take note of what is said on here and I dont think you can go far wrong.

Adder

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Adder, just keep that routine up. It will give you a common denominator even when life deals heavy blows! Even on a bad day, I know what I need to get through.