STC?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Ralph, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Ralph

Ralph Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2005
    Manny,

I can't find the answer to this question anywhere. What does STC stand for with monette? Is it:

1) Sheldon The Cat

or

2) Superior Tonal Concept

I really don't know. :oops:

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Dear Ralph,

STC stands for Sheldon the Cat.

While it may sound stupid to some, let me tell you what I know that may make some sense.

When Dave lived in Chicago and was making horns he was given Sheldon, a beautiful grey and white cat who was almost all fur, as a gift. Dave loves animals and whenever I would ask him where he got a certain design concept he would inevitably answer, tongue-in-cheek, "Sheldon".

What I have come to understand is that oftentimes, when David was mulling over a design concept, or "doing a meditation" as he liked to call it, he would have Sheldon keep him company. Sheldon was a very gentle, peaceful animal and provided him with the tranquility that enabled him to reach a conclusion about a trumpet design quandry.

Call it daydreaming if you like. The theory of relativity was thought up by Einstein as he daydreamed about being on the end of a beam of light. Some of my best successes have come after a period of quiet where I could be alone with my thoughts almost in that daydream state.

So, he decided to paean his pet by naming an idea after him. I have a huge poster-sized picture of my old dog, Ginger, hanging in my hallway. Anyone who has been to my home in the last 15 years knows that photo. Such is my tribute to her. Dave's is a design concept the name of which is now spoken the world over.

I happen to think that's pretty cool.

But then...
    what do I know?

ML

3. Ralph

Ralph Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2005

Now I feel totally inadequate. Usually I can't figure out if I want to watch Seinfeld or The Simpsons.
    My best ideas have come to me while in the bathroom.

As always, thank you Manny.

4. Kevin Hilman

Kevin Hilman Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2005
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I'll just add to what I've heard about the legend of Sheldon the Cat...

I was told that Dave was rather interested in how Sheldon, like most cats, would lie lazily about the house all day and then suddenly be able to perform a remarkable feat such as leaping up to the top of the kitchen counter. Dave was thus inspired to create trumpets which would enable the player to play relaxed and still perform technically difficult feats all while maintaining great tone and intonation.

Kevin Hilman