Step-up trumpet for my grandson?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JoeysPapa, Aug 10, 2013.

1. JoeysPapa

JoeysPapa New Friend

Jul 21, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    My grandpa's private teacher wants him to get a better horn. I have been looking at a Yamaha YTR 4335G and a Bach TR 200. Could you give me some input on these horns and others that might be suitable. He has played for one year and is going into the sixth grade next year.

Thank you for your time and thoughts.

GuatemAla

2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    What is he playing now and what about it makes the teacher want him to upgrade?

Tom

3. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I would echo Tom please could you give us more about why his teacher wants him to switch and what he has now please, without this we could be giving advice that would be accademic

Thanks

Andrew

4. JoeysPapa

JoeysPapa New Friend

Jul 21, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    The current horn is obscure in that I had never heard of it before. His teacher wants him to be able to adjust the first and third tuning slides which he cannot do with his current horn. Other reasons probably exist but this is what I remember

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  5. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    What's your Budget? Are you looking for a new shiny horn, or a good second hand horn?

My opinion is that both these horns are student horns, which would be suitable for the job. I have not played either so my opinion is based on older horns; played a Bach TR300 and a Yamaha 6335. The Yamaha 6335 was a great horn. The Bach TR300 was not as good.

Your Budget may allow for some good quality second hand horns like Olds Ambassador, Getzen Capri etc.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    As you say, it's time for a technician to pull these slides and condition them to be thereafter pulled readily by the player. It doesn't surprise me that you or his teacher have never heard of many brands of trumpets. I've been around awhile and haven't heard of many myself (I'm 77 yo).

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  7. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Give us an idea of what you want to spend. Brand new and shiny is expensive. Slightly used and better quality can even be cheaper. You might actually be able to get a pro horn in good shape for les than half the new listing price. Flip side is you can almost always turn around and sell the used one for what you paid for it. Personally, I will never by brand new. Just like the car lot, you drop the valve by almost half just walking out the door.

8. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Agree, but will hold one exception to the rule: Bach Strad. Difficult to lose money based on historical value performance. Paid about 600 in early 70s, and get 1000 now for the same horn. Older Bach Strads horns can demand more.

9. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    If the lad has only been playing for a year, won't he struggle with an open ML bore pro instrument? Even the intermediate instruments mentioned, TR300 and YTR-4335 are pretty free blowing and may not have enough resistance unless he's blessed with a seriously good pair of lungs!

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    If you want to talk free blowing, nothing is more free blowing that an Harrelson SWE Summit... but it is definitely NOT free.