Step-up trumpet for my grandson?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JoeysPapa, Aug 10, 2013.

1. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    An Olds Ambassador should get him through the next few years at least.

2. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    If it is just a problem with throwing the two slides I would have a tech look at it before you splash the cash (I'd still like to know the name of the horn he has if only out of interest) But the guys are right a nice second hand ambasador would be a great bet.

3. tyleman

tyleman Mezzo Forte User

Jul 20, 2009
    Monpazier, France
    There's a guy in Covington who buys/sells trumpets and he has, in my opinion, some good deals on student instruments. I've dealt with him in the past and he's knowledgeable about trumpets. Here's one of his ads: Student trumpets

I know that Covington is a bit of drive for you from Olympia but it might give you a chance to try out several instruments rather than limit yourself to two. Just a thought...

Cornyandy likes this.
  4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The Olds Ambassador has gotten me through the last 40 years. I still use it regularly today with the volunteer work I do for a middle school jazz ensemble.

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Give Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center a call - ask about new, and traded, Getzen 700S trumpets. It's a great top end "intermediate" trumpet in silverplate, nicely built, and solid. So, robust, easy to maintain, good sound, and locally made. Perhaps even a Getzen 400 - which sits down the list a bit but a fine fine trumpet all the same.

The question about non adjustable 1st and 3rd valve slides reflects many student horns - here's my B&H Regent MkII as an example - well the slides are adjustable but not in mid score.

[​IMG]

Good luck.

6. tyleman

tyleman Mezzo Forte User

Jul 20, 2009
    Monpazier, France
    It would be good if you could let us know the brand name of the trumpet. Many of us here may know what it is and be able to better comment based on the current horn.

As a long time professional trumpet player, I find it strange that a teacher of beginning students is concerned about first and third valve tuning. I can't see that young kids are going to need to use those AT ALL. They should be more concerned about other aspects of playing. High school and college - maybe on the first and yes on the second.

Personally I rarely find it necessary to use mine! But then I'm not playing in sections.

7. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    Am I correct in assuming that his current horn does not have 1st and 3rd valve slide adjustments (ie saddles, rings)? And am I correct in assuming that his teacher would like him to move to a horn that makes such adjustments possible? If these are so, then the advice on other student horns where these features don't exist seems gratuitous. I defer to the teacher.

There are many intermediate horns where such features exist, e.g., the Kanstul Bessons, the Yamaha 6335 the OP suggests, the Carol Brass horns and a world of others. Many would be available on the used market for not too much bread (eg $500 or so). So I like the advice to head to the big city (Seattle from Olympia--not far) and explore the music stores. I personally don't know where to go in Seattle, but I bet there are a bunch of TM'ers who do. :D

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  8. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    I know you have been using your Ambassador for a long time; I was thinking of yours when I mentioned "the next few years at least". And yours is some real eye candy!

9. Trumpetplayer24

Trumpetplayer24 Pianissimo User

Apr 3, 2013
    UK
    Would definitely recommend the Yamaha YTR 4335G. I had this model for 7 years from the age of 12, it is has now been passed down to my younger brother and is still going strong! It is really good quality and has a very nice sound which is comparable to many professional models.

10. Needs Practice

Needs Practice New Friend

Oct 14, 2012
    San Jose CA.
    My teacher suggested an upgrade after I had been learning for a while, and I now do most of my practice on an immaculate Yamaha 6335H. But I own two Olds Ambassador trumpets (plus an LA Ambassador cornet, and although there are differences between each, at my level, there is nothing I can do on the Yamaha that I cannot do on my cheapest instrument - an Ambassador that cost me $90 including original hard case and a mouthpiece. It was a lucky find - although suffering from some very minor dings and dents, it looks to have spent most of its 54 years in a closet. It is that cheap Ambassador that goes with me when I travel.