Step-up trumpet for my grandson?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JoeysPapa, Aug 10, 2013.

1. eviln3d

eviln3d Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2013
    I'm confused... Granpa's private teacher wants him to get a better horn and he has played one year and is going into the sixth grade? Sorry, I seem to be missing something or grandpa must be a very slow learner if he is in the 6th grade...

I am kind of assuming it is grandson's private teacher... and if that is the case then I have to wonder what is wrong with the current trumpet... slides aren't typically even used by kids until they have been playing for a 2 or 3 years and then it is normally only the third valve slide they start using and then maybe in high school they get to where they need and use a first valve slide... And if the kid is still playing in high school I would probably be thinking it was time to move to a higher level horn.

I hope the private teacher isn't offering to order the instrument for him or hasn't suggested he go to a specific store to get the horn.... I only say that because some people will buy horns for students and make a bit a money on the deal, others will feed customers to music store and get a kickback from the store from the sale... Lastly he is only playing for 1 year... so getting a new intermediate horn is kind of silly. I would suggest a good used horn is a much better option, even if it has dings and scratches it would be capable of working as a first horn and first time players don't tend to take very good care of their horns so those dings and dents they put on a used horn don't hurt nearly as much as on a new one.

2. Harky

Harky Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2013
    Lancaster, PA
    I have to strongly second Ed Lee on this one. The first thing I do when I get a horn is to work the slides. With a bit of knowledge and effort even the lowest student model slides can be made silky smooth. BTW we also agreed a couple of months ago that as far as equipment goes, its the mouthpiece (mpc) that most strongly effects tone, so I would ask what kind of mouthpiece he is playing? Is it the one that 'came with the horn'. I'd also think a lot about that and a service guy who will promise to make the slides silky smooth before investing in another horn for a person in 6th or 7th grade. Let us know what you eventually do. We like the follow up!

3. JoeysPapa

JoeysPapa New Friend

Jul 21, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    It's a German HUTTL Bb trumpet. There are no rings, hooks, or saddles on either slide. I think that is the real issue. I don't know the horn's history. It was purchased by his grandmother on the other side of the family and I don't know where she got it.

Thanks to all who responded to my post and I apologize for the auto corrections that my computer made for me without my authorization. I will copy and resend this answer to those who asked about the make of his current horn.

4. JoeysPapa

JoeysPapa New Friend

Jul 21, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    It's a German HUTTL Bb trumpet. There are no rings, hooks, or saddles on either slide. I think that is the real issue. I don't know the horn's history. It was purchased by his grandmother on the other side of the family and I don't know where she got it.

Thanks to all who responded to my post and I apologize for the auto corrections that my computer made for me without my authorization.

I will copy and resend this answer to those who asked about the make of his current horn.

Well I see that didn't work. It goes right to the thread.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  5. RRVancil

RRVancil Piano User

Sep 24, 2009
    Littleton, Colorado
  6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Interesting, I just heard Jim Anderson play 4 trumpets... and to me they all sound the same.... What this tells me is Jim Anderson is a solid player... As for the Hutti, I am intrigued by its look, vintage and history. Problem is the clip does not give you a price.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  7. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I've played a few Huttles, Both cornets and trumpets they are fine old horns and actually the intonation is pretty good. They are built like tanks (not dissimilar to the B and S Sonora line) great horn for a student. If your teacher is so worried about intonation problems that you have to throw the slides then get a ring and a saddle fitted, get a tech to get the slides running really slick and play.

8. tyleman

tyleman Mezzo Forte User

Jul 20, 2009
    Monpazier, France
    It irritates me to read some of the things the music teachers/band directors insist on these days. It is NOT necessary for beginning students to have horns with moveable first and third valve slides. What absolute crap. Where do these people get these notions?

The other irritating thing I read the other day was some misguided band director insisted his students play Bach trumpets. I have nothing against Bach trumpets - they can be great horns. But I recently saw what WAS a beautiful 1970s Bach 72 totally trashed by a high school student. Of course, this is not to say that all HS students with Bachs will trash them. But it's sad to see that kind of damage on ANY horn. And a high school brass section does not need to all play the same brand of trumpet.

9. entrancing1

entrancing1 Mezzo Piano User

Feb 16, 2010
    Buffalo, NY
    Dan Oberloh Oberloh Woodwind and Brass Works in Seattle always has an inventory of used trumpets and he is a highly skilled tech who could add saddles , rings or triggers to a horn.