Stephen Sondheim "Send in the Clowns"

Discussion in 'Wise Talk!' started by gus, Dec 13, 2005.

1. gus

gus Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Hi Wilmer,

I'm from Argentina so we don't have music hall like in Broadway or London, and I played with an Ensemble the London Brass arrangement of "Send in the Clowns".

Do you know in which work/ contest this work was issued/ performed originally?.

Thanks for your help.

Gus

2. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Glynis Johns sang this song in "A Little Night Music." The show was written by Stephen Sondheim. Jonathan Tunick did the orchestrations. This was my first Sondheim show. There aren't many notes, but what there are is cherse :cool:
    Wilmer

3. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    I played a college production of ALNM a few years ago. It was a fun show, although by the end I would have killed for something in four...

-Jimi

4. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Howdy folxs,
    I'm not sure if we are talking about the same song, but the Kenton band had a killer arrangment of Send in the Clowns.... just a thought if you'd like a different set of ears/interpertation on it...

5. uatrmpt

uatrmpt Piano User

Nov 29, 2003
    AL
    Other great renditions of it:

Frank Sinatra
    Boston Pops

and *Gasp*

The Santa Clara Vanguard Drum & Bugle Corps (Nothing beats the sound of 64 Brass horns playing this!)

6. gregc

gregc Mezzo Piano User

Apr 5, 2004
    New York, U.S. of A.
    Another interesting version: from the Chet Baker Live at Ronnie Scotts DVD: Chet Baker, playing behind a Van Morrison vocal.
    gregc