Steps to better trumpet playing.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by kctrumpeteer, Jan 12, 2010.

1. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    I recently got back into playing trumpet I have been taking lessons once a week and they are great, but wondering what others might do for getting better. I found some great stuff on the Internet including the youtube (you can find elsewhere) where the 215th Army Band has 10 videos which seem very professionally done and very good information. But the reality is that I don't think they take me any further than I already am which is really a beginner status.

With my music instructor that I take private lessons from he has been working on some things from Irons as well as a few short songs to work on. A friend of mine seemed to think lessons are unnecessary unless you are a total beginner, but wondering what most people do to continually get better outside of or including taking lessons?

Are there other resources out there that anyone would suggest? I even saw where a guy would give private lessons via web cam, but at that point I don't see why I would do that versus just like I am now taking private lessons in person.... other than this guy was a professional trumpet player.

Thanks...

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    We never stop learning. I have been playing for more years than some folks are old. I still study with private teachers. One is the principal trumpet with the symphony and the other is the trumpet professor at the university. Private lessons are an integral part of us constantly seeking to improve. Yes, I also do a lot of reading and have a rather extensive library of trumpet music, method books, as well as books on trumpet playing. If you really want to improve and continue to improve the second set of ears and eyes that you get from a private teacher of real importance.

3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Play. Play a lot.

Join a community band, big band, jazz band, quintet...whatever.

The more you play in settings outside your living room or instructors studio, the better.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    KC,
    anyone who has trouble with private lessons is just fooling themselves. The whole idea is to have a situation where we CAN make mistakes and get help for them. The idea that we practice what the teacher says and have everything perfectly down in a weeks time is nonsense. Those who do not wish to show the bad side of their playing are the ones who are critical. There is NOTHING wrong with making mistakes. A teacher is there for the weaker side.

I do not prefer to second guess your teacher and agree that ensemble opportunities are the key to getting better.

Take your problems to your teacher. Openly discuss weaknesses, work hard on what you have trouble with. Those are the key things to getting better! The true losers are those that are not willing to admit weaknesses - or cover their problems up.

5. Keith Fiala

Keith Fiala Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    There are SO many ways to play incorrectly that taking lessons from a competent teacher is vital! Whether it be via webcam / online lessons or in person. You can gain great insight on proper technique - bad habits develop very quickly... and what might seem like it works up front, can really cost you big dividends in the long run!

Never stop asking for help from competent teachers, and if that person makes you feel intimidated or lesser than they are, find a new teacher! Because learning is about support as well!

Just my thoughts -

Keith Fiala