Stevens-Costello Embouchure Technique

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Chop-Doc, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Chop-Doc

Chop-Doc New Friend

Aug 25, 2008
    Chop problems? Lousy setup? Poor tooth and jaw support? Try this
    proven technique played by the best! Note most great players cannot tell you what they do for range. Book "Embouchure Trouble and Self Analysis"
    has it all. DVD by Dr. Alan Geller. Check it out! Experience Double High "C"!
    www.Stevens-Costellochops.com Lessons available in N.Y.C.:-)

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    What is the Stevens-Costello Embouchure Technique?

A non-pressure system of brass playing based on physical laws of the embouchure setup; that when used with proper air compression and direction can produce an unlimited range. There is no other system out there that gives you the “notes” on a brass instrument before one develops the rudiments of music. It contradicts the evolutionary way of “building chops for years”.

Pardon me while I throw up! Any person/method claiming exclusivity belongs in the bovine excrement thread. I guess the method is not good enough to stand on its successes. The marketing people get involved and there you go: instant DUNG!

Check the website out. The audio that comes with the home page sounds like a high schooler with fairly decent chops. They need to work on their timing though. Maybe that is not part of the deal......... No calling card for a KILLER method.

I will stick with my boring, traditional method that combines music with playing, doesn't focus on any particular octave and prohibits mp3 internet audio bites that are only 70%. The tangerine sounds more like an unripe lemon.

Brekelefuw likes this.
  3. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think it will turn into an interesting, fun embouchure discussion. The audio sound bite on the home page will limit the marketability.

4. CHAMP

CHAMP Piano User

Nov 16, 2005
    as soon as the page opened i was assaulted by a sound clip...as i was frantically searching for a way to make it stop, i found myself fascinated by it...kind of like watching a train wreck...now i wanna hear more!!!

more sound clips...MORE!!!

5. RobertSlotte

RobertSlotte Pianissimo User

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    Every embouchure is different (virtuosos and amatures) and it will for sure always be like that.

If I had to try to put my own emb. in a "category" I think that the Stevns-Costello would be at least the CLOSEST to what I do. That beeing said I do not think everyone can use it, I mean becouse we are all different and different things suits different folks.
    That is why that site should not promise so much. It´s just not so easy and does not fit everyone.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  6. Chop-Doc

Chop-Doc New Friend

Aug 25, 2008
    Dear Rowuk,
    You can stick to your method of playing if you are happy with it, but your immaturity, large negative vocabulary,(is this taught in Germany?) and intolerance to other methods is quite evident from your remarks.Who are you to refute a proven method
    taught by an embouchure expert in New York for 30 years(Roy Stevens) and Bill Costello
    before him? This forum is open to debate to all with mature, open minds. Let's hear from people that have tried it! Then discuss it.Check out www.Roy Stevens.org.

7. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Why is it that every time someone goes to get angry at something Rowuk says they always bring up the fact that he lives in Germany?

8. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I have to agree with Rowuk. Being allergic to anyone claiming exclusivity and zealous fan of common sense I have seen many professional trumpeters with much more credentials than myself whose embouchure clearly contradicts the findings of Mr. Costello. I dare to doubt the universality of his teachings - they may work for some, but this is not the only way. If I was administrating Mr. Costello's website I would not put that audio sample either doesn't really sound that convincing. Chop, do you have a video link (something like youtube or anything similar) of Mr. Costello or Mr. Stevens peforming a musical piece? I would like to dig that.

9. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Chop-Doc,
    I am an American, brought up and got my musical education in upstate New York. I have only been performing for 40 years compared to your 50, but have played on all of the continents. I have paid my dues and did not refute any proven method (including Stevens-Costello).

I will call out anybody that claims exclusivity, for any method that places bodybuilding or geometry before music. There are enough "methods" out there that reliably produce high chops without ignoring the rest and you know it. I consider this type of lie to be very insulting to any working or studying musician.

The web site says that Dr. Geller is looking for students (and dental patients), not Roy Stevens. That means we get Mr. Gellers interpretation of Stevens-Costello. That may or may not be the same as the masters. J.S. Bach also had students that did not compose as well.

The statement "There is no other system out there that gives you the “notes” on a brass instrument before one develops the rudiments of music." is exactly the type of brainlessness that makes me sick. You as an "accomplished musician for 50 years in the New York Area" and student of Roy Stevens know very well that high notes out of context, without musical line are merely noise. How many big band gigs have you played where the lead trumpeter was always behind the beat. How long do your chops last on a gig without timing - regardless of system? Your soundbite could use quite a bit of what I am talking about. I'm sure that you can do better and wonder why you didn't.

Come down off of your horse. YOU stuck this ad in the general trumpet forum instead of the classifieds where it belongs. I decided to leave it here and let some of the TMers evaluate too. You intended it to be a free plug, and that it is. You now have more exposure than you want.

By the way, this forum is open to debate from all types of minds, not just ones that you declare to be mature.

I maintain that MUSIC is the core of what trumpet players do. High notes are only one of many tools that allows them to perform certain types of work, provided they have achieved a sense of style, groove and maturity.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  10. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I would love to learn how to play high notes. I'm not sure weather this method is the one or not. It's only 40.00 , less than a lesson.

Listening to the home page song I thought that the high part wouldn't come out over the band.

RobertSlotte likes this.