Stevens-Costello Embouchure Technique

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Chop-Doc, Aug 1, 2009.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There are enough people in this world whose knowledge of European history stopped at 1945. I can assure you all, I do not goose step when I give trumpet lessons and when I raise my right hand, it is in the orchestra to get the conductors attention in a polite way.

I prefer to think of Germany as very organized, solid technology and a real melting pot for musical styles. There are still enough old style traditional "teutonic" players as well as cutting edge jazz players. I have a great time working with them all. None of them claim exclusivity however................

Many get angry at me because the mirror that I hold up does not have a filter against the uncomfortable. It is then easier to take a shot rather than let whatever stand on its own merit. My style of posting generally gets down to the "meat" very quickly, Chop-Docs reply is no exception.

I have nothing against him or what he is trying to sell. My issue is with the way it is packaged, and the audio soundbite that is not a very proper calling card.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  2. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Because that's where he lives. If he lived in England we would say, " Is that how they do things in England?" It would be the same thing for Malaysia.

3. Veldkamp

Veldkamp Piano User

Mar 29, 2004
    the Netherlands
    "When you control the music you control the embouchure. You do not control meat to control sound. Instead you control the music to control the meat"

- Arnold Jacobs.

4. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    He had great high chops too!

5. Veldkamp

Veldkamp Piano User

Mar 29, 2004
    the Netherlands
  6. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    I use the Abbott-Costello method. I use a sharpie to mark my index finger "Who", my middle finger "What", and the ring finger "I don't know". Then I mash the mouthpiece into my face, stretch my lips back into a Joker-like grin, and play "Carnival of Venice" at 160 BPM.

7. Veldkamp

Veldkamp Piano User

Mar 29, 2004
    the Netherlands
    Do you have video of that, I like to see and hear that...:thumbsup:

8. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I suspect this one turned out a bit different than the OP expected! He really should offer the option to turn the audio clip off. I couldn't open the page at work because of it...

9. Trumpet_EG

Trumpet_EG New Friend

Jun 12, 2009
    haha EXACTLY what I was thinking

10. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    This is the best I can do!

YouTube - Who's on Trumpet?