Stevens-Costello Embouchure Technique

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Chop-Doc, Aug 1, 2009.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I remember Roy Stevens papers in the early 80s. He was peddling triple Cs back then and mouthpieces to get there too. There are reprints for the interested at:

Writings

Judging from the amount of players out there with triple Cs, the method didn't catch on, or the results are not for everybody, or both.

Mr. Geller is only selling double Cs. Maybe something was lost in the transfer?

2. Chop-Doc

Chop-Doc New Friend

Aug 25, 2008
    Robert Slotte- you said it all(amongst the skeptics): You play close to this system and it works for you! It does not work for everybody and is not the only correct way to play the trumpet. This system worked for me when my chops were falling apart in hgh
    school over 40 years ago. It is also not easy in the early stages of embouchure change.
    However, it works when jaw, closed lip aperture and tooth alignment are proper. Lead
    players as Lloyd Michels(Woody Herman), Paul Bogosian(Don Ellis) and Roy Roman(Lionel
    Hampton) to name a few are for real! Yes, students of Roy Stevens! Thanks, Al Geller

3. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    NOW we are getting down to the meat! Thank you Mr. Geller. Now that the truth is out, many of us would be interested an what you cured when you switched, how long it took (I know of no embouchure switches with less than 6 months investment) and what sacrifices were originally needed to change.

When we read Mr. Stevens papers we also see that he was a master of selling himself. That does not make him or his system bad, it does raise a yellow flag of caution though. Reinharts "Double C in 37 weeks" also has a long line of success stories - without ignoring music. I got my range with Earl Irons lip flexibilities, Schlossberg, Clarke and Arban.

We all know that the adage "a sucker is born every minute" applies to many trumpet players looking for high chops. They do not have the drive to get there, the local playing situation to use xtreme high register or the groove to make themselves useful in any musical situation needing high notes. Timing is often more critical than range.

4. RobertSlotte

RobertSlotte Pianissimo User

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
    B15M likes this.
  5. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Well put. I think your response addresses a lot if hidden motives and concerns. So, don't even worry about the spelling. It was good enough for us to understand the message. Have fun practicing your Piccolo while the rest of us mull over what this all means for our own personal quest for the 'high chops'.

RobertSlotte likes this.
  6. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY

7. CHAMP

CHAMP Piano User

Nov 16, 2005
    i think the people who protest the most about the high register are those of us that are tired of hearing it done poorly...listen to the sound clip for an example...

do i have the dubba c? yes...do i go on and on about it? no

if high notes aren't played musically, there is no reason to play them PERIOD

8. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There are valid recipes for achieving an impressive high register. They do not need to take YEARS of effort. They do take some time however and that is good. As we improve our range, we get the chance to learn about the context of high notes. That lets us work on the "proper" use at the same time. Just like in pro sports when you take the gifted child out of the ghetto and give him millions, he will fail socially. No time to learn how to deal with that type of money in a decent way. The street problems just get financed in a big way. False friends, drugs, money schemes, immorality.............

The way the human being normally learns is of great advantage to our overall development. Short cuts are a problem!

9. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I don't see leading someone down the right path as using a short cut, there are many different types of embouchure's out there, and there are different methods for getting the best results from each ,the trick is finding the right match, that is why so many struggle with range and endurance, teaching only one way to all students doesn't work .

RobertSlotte likes this.
  10. RobertSlotte

RobertSlotte Pianissimo User

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    yes, but also: If ANY notes (goes for low and middle register also) arenĀ“t played musically, there is no reson to play them.

Al Innella likes this.