Stevens - Maggio -farkas!?!?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by frankmike, Mar 12, 2010.

1. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Flutter tongue is a common effect, so I find that it necessary to master it or you can find yourself in a difficult situation...However, if this is due to physical handicap of some kind, I guess that multiple tonguing would be enough for testing purposes to establish whether you got your basics together. I don't mean to exclude anyone of anything. I was just trying to help the OP

Is it wise to use the Wise embouchure? ROFL Most likely for Mr Wise it is :bleah:

Ditto for the name thing. However, there is few people who tried to make some kind of classification of the different embouchure types, some more successfully than others. If you are still so concerned about labels check http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f131/embouchure-types-41603.html

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  2. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009

stay away from farkas and you will be just fine. Beides your embouchure is very close to stevens embouchure, but you have a tendency from time to time to stretch your lips over your teeth so this has to be avoided since it is remescent of farkas. Do not strtch lips and you will be fine.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I don't know about Chet Fan's credentials, but based on mine (MA in Brass Peadagogy and 30 some odd years in the field) I can't make such a blanket statement. In my experience, as a player and teacher, nobody important cares about chops except for players and teachers. Those that can play do so, an their embouchure is the result of making music on the trumpet.

I have no problem with the "puckered smile" of Farkas or in Quinque's "corners to the eyeteeth" approach. It is just that, an approach, just as a compass pointing north may give direction but not the path.

(If I could choose, I'd go for the Wise embouchure, however!)