Sticking SLides

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by trumpetsplus, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Doesn't the original quality of the instrument factor in the cost of repair inclusive of the quality of repair required, or is it the goal of the tech to provide reasonable repairs that make the instrument better than it ever was.

2. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    HI Ed
    Yes, it is a goal to make the instrument better than it ever was, but sometimes just not possible.

I have horns here which I imported several years ago to see whether they could be made "acceptably playable". They had good features and an acceptable valve block, but in the end were not up to standard. I would be looking at changing lead pipes at least, and probably tuning slides as well. A failed experiment - and a further reminder that trumpets are not just items of plumbing!

3. simso

simso Pianissimo User

Jul 1, 2009
    Australia, Perth
    We have a simple rate to service a trumpet, be it has stuck slides / stuck binding pistons etc, if it takes longer than an hour to repair then something is seriously wrong.

There are also exceptions to every rule, some trumpets need pistons to be replated and resized, this would be an exeption to the above rule.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia