Sticky 3rd valve on Bach Strad #37

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by johnwatersnyc, Jun 25, 2010.

1. johnwatersnyc

johnwatersnyc New Friend

Jun 25, 2010
    Astoria, NY
    I play in a brass band, and last week, I played three outdoor shows in the summer heat, several hours each. In between gigs, somehow, the third valve on my Bach Strad (37) got stuck!
    Like, it would only go half way down!, AS if I was a kid that stuck a wad of sugary gum in the trumpet!
    after enough oiling, I got it to move, but realy freaky! Someone told me the humidity has an impact? Help!

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The third valve is most prone to "sticking" because it is closest our mouths where most of the contaminants come from. Most of the time it is not what we ate that day, rather the remains of the last weeks and months that work their way to where the musical damage is greatest.

That being said, normal petroleum based oil doesn't even last 24 hours. Proper oiling means taking the valve out, wiping it AND the casing completely dry, then oiling. Oil floats on water and that keeps it from doing its work.

I know of no issues with humidity and metal or humidity and valve oil. When it is hot, I drink more and spit more and THAT could carry more aerosols into the horn however.

3. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    I use break-free and since I sold my motorcycle, my trumpet has dibs on it all! (well ok so my guns get some)