Sticky 3rd valve slide

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by nickenator, Sep 24, 2009.

1. nickenator

nickenator Pianissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    I have an older (20 year old) trumpet and a new trumpet purchased this year. Both have slides which I don't think move freely enough. I have tried cleaning, thin slide oil, thicker slide oil, but can't get them to move freely. Just wondering what I am doing wrong.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Maybe you are doing NOTHING wrong. Maybe the slides just were not optimally put together. They have to be perfectly parallel and if there are braces, they have to be in exactly the right place.

Most new horns need breaking in. Older horns that still don't cooperate need a technician to realign.

3. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    I couldn't agree more, take them to the shop.

4. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    And stop using slide oil on them. They're designed to be used with slide lubricant in a very thin application with possibly a touch of woodwind key oil for added slickness. Slide oil is designed to be heavy, thick and to last on student trombone slides which are quite different from the 3rd slides on trumpets.

And you can work them in simply by sitting there and moving them back and forth (with the 3rd valve depressed, of course) a lot. You can do that while watching TV, since you're not practicing at the same time.

As a repairman I've seen this situation on very expensive Bach Strads and Benges in addition to hundreds of student-level new instruments. And it's not always an alignment issue (actually it rarely is in the case of pro-level instruments, since they're assembled using jigs which make it very difficult not to have things aligned just right). Most of the time its more of a mis-match in the diameters of the slide tubes.