Sticky and bad valves after vinegar bath

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetplayerdk, Jan 15, 2008.

1. trumpetplayerdk

trumpetplayerdk New Friend

Jan 7, 2008
    Denmark
    Hi all.
    Maybe I've done something stupid.
    I had my trumpet in a vinegar bath to get rid of the scale but maybe the mix between water and vingar was a little too strong:-( But now the scale is gone. But my valves has begun to get sticky :-(

Does anyone have an advices?
    I've heard something about putting my valves in milk?
    Ideas?

Oh by the way my trumpet is a Bach strad 37 from 1993 so i don't think that is the problem.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Vinegar contain acetic acid along with lots of organic stuff too--in the slowly fermented vinegar a non-toxic slime consisting of bacteria and cellulose is formed. (Yeech!) The acid can be "killed" by ringsing with a solution of baking soda (a pinch or two) and lukewarm water; thouroughly rinsing with plain water afterwards is important as well. Acetic acid causes verdigras on brass, ugly green gunk that is poisonous and possibly carcinogenic, so rinse, rinse, rinse!

Have fun!

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    trumpetplayerdk,
    valves are only slow when they are damaged, dirty and or not lubricated properly.
    Of course you must rinse, rinse, rinse after cleaning, regardless if you use dishwashing liquid or vinegar. The next step is to wipe out the valve casings and let them dry. Oil floats on water (in Denmark visible in the harbors of Grenaa or Frederikshaven) so if the valves and casing are not bone dry before applying oil, the oil will not lubricate metal to metal and therefore be prone to sticking. If you do not lubricate the valves properly, they will wear out more quickly and become even less dependable.

4. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

Oil is also visible on certain US shorelines in the form of large black pieces that you think is a large rock...... until you sit on it... eww.

Rinse, rinse, rinse.

5. trumpetplayerdk

Jan 7, 2008
    Denmark
    Thanks, I could'nt find baking soda. what about Washing soda?
    I guess it is a bit stronger?

6. francolinni

francolinni New Friend

Dec 14, 2007
    Philly
    Hey all: Am really curious here. Has anyone out there ever wiped their vlv's & vlv body out with alcohol wipes after a thorough rinse? Then let it air dry prior to reassembly. I work in an enviroment where we do this to pipe/tubing prior to installation. (test labs) Wondering if this would cause any problems? Franco:dontknow:

7. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Franco,
    when I was using petroleum based valve oils I did as residue would build up. Since I switched to synthetics, the valves always seem to stay "clean".
    Alcohol had no bad effects on my Holton, Bach, Benge, Besson or Selmer horns at that time.

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I was talking about what in Germany is called Backpulver, and easy to find in grocery stores. Some call it Natron.

9. trumpetplayerdk

Jan 7, 2008
    Denmark
    Oooh okay. I got that one. Can anything happen if I put the trumpet in a "backpulver" bath?

:dontknow:

10. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    no, nothing can happen, just don't forget to rinse, rinse, rinse afterwards. Baking powder does not attack brass, solder, plastic, laquer, gold or silver. If there is a lot of crud in the tuning slide, it may come out looking like bread dough though!.