Sticky second valve

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rdt1959, Feb 27, 2006.

1. rdt1959

rdt1959 Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2003
    Georgia
    In the last 6 weeks my horn has developed a problem with the second valve gumming up. Yesterday was a good example of what happened.

Before going to church, I took all three valves out, wiped them down, wiped out the casings with a cloth and re-oiled the valves. (I just state here that I clean my horn with snake and luke warm water about once a month, and I had done that just last Thursday). Play in praise band for worship with no problem.

Praise band rehearsal is at 4:30. Just before rehearsal I re-oiled the second valve. By the third tune it was sticking so badly that I had to stop and wiping it down/re-oil it again. Last night, while practicing, the same thing happened.

Looking at the valve and casing, I see no scratches or corrosion.

I was wondering if this sounds familiar to anybody, and what they did to correct the problem?

Thanks

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I don't suppose there is the slightest chance that you might have put your horn down so that it rested on the 2nd valve slide?

3. upoils

upoils Pianissimo User

Aug 1, 2005
    Philomath, Oregon
    It may be worth trying Ultra-Pure Professional Valve Oil. It has solved many valve sticking problems for other players. I do not recommend using a cloth to wipe down the valves or casings as this can transfer more grime or dust to the valve. It is better to apply enough oil to the valve and to squirt down the casings to rinse off grime and any contamination (remove the bottom caps first and clean them too). Our website has some oiling usage tips.

Best of luck,
    Ken

4. rdt1959

rdt1959 Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2003
    Georgia
    Toots;

I was half afraid somebody would ask something like that. A little over 8 months ago I took a break during my evening practice session. My wife's dog decided to take to opportunity to investigate that shiny thing making all the noise, and knocked the horn over. (Come to think of it, I was having a really bad night that night....you don't suppose the wife told the dog.....nnnnnnnnnaaaaaaaawwwwwwww)

Can't remember which side it landed on though.

5. rdt1959

rdt1959 Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2003
    Georgia
    Ken;

Thanks for the thoughts, and I will check out the site.

I thought about the cloth and oil issues also, but this only happens with the second valve. I would think that if it was the cleaning method or cheap valve oil, all the valves would be gumming up?

6. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Dick,

Its super easy for a brass tech to "true" up the valve casing if its just a bit off from cylindrical.

I'd find a reputable tech and have them do it.

Greg