Sticky Third Valve...kind of odd

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by TrumpetMonk, Feb 16, 2010.

1. TrumpetMonk

TrumpetMonk Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2009
    West virginia
    Hey guys,

I've had a problem with my Bach Strad for about a year and a half now. My third valve sticks almost all the time. No matter how much oil goes on the things, it sticks. Its one of those things that when you want to show someone it never happens. But it happens atleast once a min. during playing. Most of the time it won't go down without more force than the other two valves. I've noticed it worsens after playing a few lines and also when I have to push the third valve slide out. Any tips?

2. abtrumpet

abtrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2009
    Have you ever thoroughly cleaned the valve?

3. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Sounds like you either need a little valve work from a good tech (relax, not a big deal), you're pushing the valve down crooked and causing it to bind, or the third slide is out of whack. Or...any or all of the above. Start with cleaning, if the trouble remains, time for the shop.

4. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA
  5. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Could be that the main tuning slide is out of alignment and is causing the 3rd valve to bind a bit. I see this regularly at work. Putting pressure on the lower main tuning slide and 3rd valve slide area can twist it, warping the casing.

More likely though is that that your 3rd finger is hanging over the button a bit and you are pulling the valve towards you. This happens to me when I get lazy.

6. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I know what your talking about, first thing I would think of would be your valve alignment. Um other than that infer the valve stem could have some gunk keeping the spring from functioning properly, open it up and take alook down there, the other may be your valve guides arnt going smoothly with your valve casing perhaps some build up of something on there. Oh and get Ultra-Pure I just got it a few days ago I havent had to oil in 3 days and its as slick as ice.

7. TrumpetMonk

TrumpetMonk Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2009
    West virginia
    Ok, thanks. I have cleaned it as best I could. I thought it was some gunk on the bottom of the piston, when I cleaned it, it worked better for a few days. It could possibly how my finger pushes it in. I have noticed that I do have a slight variation on positioning for one and two with three. I'll check that out.

8. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    One other word of advice from another repairman -- when you have a problem, never wait a year and a half before you get it looked at and repaired. And if one repair shop won't work on it because it works perfectly when they play it (that happens to me a lot because my hand position moves the valves straight up and down) you can either try to find another repair shop willing to try to do something or simply practice changing your hand position so the valves move straight in and out (doesn't have to be up and down, you can rotate the instrument to where your hand position works best.)

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Any shiny spots on the third valve? A small dent in the casing can really mess stuff up!

10. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Yeah, take it to a repair man and tell him the problem, but dont show him (makes him do his job) and have him check for a valve dent like VB said, and also get an alignment. That should fix the problem (along with new springs) if there's still something wrong I would personally call the company.