Sticky valve dilemna has ENDED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by guitarsrmine, Oct 19, 2011.

1. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    Hi everyone. As per one of my recent postings, sticky valves were driving me insane to the point that I was ready to, really, give up!! However, I took the suggestion of someone, and Im sorry...I forgot who gave me this tip....this kind soul told me to clean the valves, and casings real good, and only apply 1 drop of oilon each valve, and by hand, cover the enitre valve. I figured, what the heck....Ive tried everything else. So I did, and VOILA"-it worked!!!! I tried this, I dunno, about a week and a half ago, and my valves are sliding right along!!! And Ive NOT oiled since, and everything is working fine!!! I never thought that only 1 drop would do it, but it has!! And thanks to Ken Saul for a great oil, Ultra Pure!!!:play:

2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    If you haven't oiled your valves in a week and a half, you've already worn a lot of the surface off. I strongly suggest that you oil your valves every time you play.

For a really really tight valve, you can actually over-oil your valves and if you do, they'll hardly move. If a bottle of oil lasts you a month instead of a year, you're putting too much on.

But do oil more often, please. A valve rebuild is $450 that you don't want to pay, trust me.

Tom

3. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    Thanks, Vetpshychwars(sp.?).....I will do that. I just dont want to go thru the sticky, sludgey,slow valve issue anymore!!!!

4. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Do you have a wiping rod for cleaning your casings? Looks like a pistol cleaning rod. Your local music store should have them, get a plastic rod for swabbing flutes.

Then get some cheesecloth or a bandanna (new, clean, please) and swab the casings and wipe the valves every day for a couple weeks. That will help you get your valves in good condition and constant cleaning and reoiling will make sure any metal doesn't accumulate and scratch.

That will also help your valves to "break in" and not stick.

Tom

5. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    Thanks for the tips, Vet.....this area hasnt had a music store in like FOREVER!!!! Theres 1 about 15 miles from here, but all they carry is guitars, amps, and MORE guitars!!! Heck, they dont even carry valve oil, reeds, grease, etc.....so, the closest one from here that MIGHT have the rod you were speaking of is like 65 miles away!!! But, the next time Im there, Ill get one!!

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Those plastic handled mpc/casing cleaners are not as durable as a straight metal one. The handles can come off if one is too aggressive in cleaning. "Someone" :)roll:) told me this after it broke off in their mpc.!

7. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    Thanks for the link, coolerdave.....I have that very same kit....got it right after I bought my new Jupiter!!!:play: