Sticky valves part 2

Discussion in 'Horns' started by camel lips, Feb 29, 2004.

1. camel lips

camel lips New Friend

Feb 16, 2004
    In a attempt NOT to dredge up a old thread that went bad I decided to start a new one on a fresh,upbeat platform.

I reported that I had a new Kanstul KSB102 power bore soprano that had sticky valves and explained that I knew it was because of the break in process.

As hard as I have tried to keep it clean,flush it and oil the valves,the first and 3 rd valve kept giving me the occasional sticky syndrome.The first two valves have broken in nicely and the third is still a little on the stiff side but even it is smoothing up.

Each time I changed valve oils I cleaned the instrument thoughorly and then used the new oil.Still with the same results.

Low and behold I finally decided to Give Jack a call and ordered a bottle of the Hybrid pro-oil 141-a7 that he recommended on the other thread.After cleaning the horn again and using this oil I am starting to see some forward progress.These valves seem to be almost completely worn in after playing it for almost 2 months solid almost 3 hours a day.They are getting smooth and responsive.

I am hoping in a short period of time they will glide like the Bach valves do on my two BAch 43's but after talking to other Bach and Kanstul owners it seems that Bach and Kanstul have two entirely different valve feels too them.Bach's seem to be the smoothest but at a cost.They seem to be a bit more noisy.Kanstul on the other hand seem to be quite and responsive but not the "glide" like smoothness of the Bach's.

This of course could change in the next coming weeks and I promise to keep updates that are accurate and unbiased.

2. camel lips

camel lips New Friend

Feb 16, 2004
    BTw you might find it interesting to know that Pro Oil is a synthetic "blended" oil and not pure synthetic.

Here are some of the specs of Pro Oil.

Refined petroleum distillates
    90 - 99 %

Synthetic oils
    10 - 1 %

3. MrV

MrV New Friend

Jan 27, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA USA
    Welcome to the Sticky Valve Club Camel Lips,

Your valves should be getting better as you use more oil on them and as you play the trumpet.

For me the oil did it's magic when I soaked the valves overnight for two consecutive days and nights. They're not perfect(100% smooth) but they're getting better. And yes the valves do look worn out.....At least I'm able to play the trumpet without getting valves stuck.. but sometimes you do have to press hard to prevent problems. I'm convince the problem will be 100% solve with more use of the trumpet.

Good Luck!

4. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    So, is it the "norm" with Kanstuls that the valves be working properly when delivered from the factory? :?

Dave

5. camel lips

camel lips New Friend

Feb 16, 2004
    Good question.

It seems after doing a lot of research that Kanstul has two different valve bodies.

One they use on their signature line and the other they use on their Bugles and student horns.

I received a Flip Oaks wild thing the other day(Kanstul) with the Signature valve bodies and they do make a big difference in how the valves respond.

Having several months behind this horn,it appears that the problems I have encountered are now in the past thanks to Jack sending me some correct valve oil and lots of tedious cleaning.Its worth it.