Sticky valves

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by davemcloughlin, Dec 9, 2008.

1. davemcloughlin

davemcloughlin New Friend

Dec 9, 2008
    Boulder, CO
    Looking for advice. My Bach is getting old, purchased in 1978. And my valves are getting really sticky. I've never had this problem before. My questions are, can my horn be saved, is it worth saving? Should I pay to have my valves realigned? I'm wondering if it's just some kind of build up. What is the best way to clean valves.

Oh, and yes, to all the smart aleks out there, I've tried putting some valve oil on them.

2. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    what kind of bath routine have you followed?

3. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    do you give your horn a true blue bath?
    how often?
    what kind of valve oil do you use?
    how do you oil them?
    how is the tension of the springs?
    what model bach is it?
    why not introduce yourself before assuming we're all gunna be smart aleks?

4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Probably accumulation over time of gunk on your valves. Give the horn a thorough cleaning. Use the Search feature and you will find lots of threads with advice on how to do it.
    If something failed, the problem would have appeared more or less overnight. A slow decrease in performance is almost always a sign the horn needs a good cleaning.

5. davemcloughlin

Dec 9, 2008
    Boulder, CO
    I wash my horn regularly in warm water with a little soap.

6. davemcloughlin

Dec 9, 2008
    Boulder, CO
    re: smart alek remark. I never assumed you were all smart aleks, but I've read enough threads to know there are a few jokers out there.

Regarding me and my horn. I've got a 1978 Bach Strad Model 37 Med Large bore. I got a new lead pipe and had it refinished in 1991. I use Al Cass FAST valve oil and have never used anything else on the valves. I do a wide variety of playing. I play with the local community symphony orchestra as well as lead my own 9 piece swing band doing music from the big band era. I've been playing my horn for 30 years and never had my valves stick like this, so it's kinda perplexing. I was wondering if I can fix it myself or if I should consult with a repair shop.

7. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    Have a look at this web site.
    Go to "Videos", scroll down to the bottom of the
    page, and you will shown how to clean and maintenance
    a trumpet.
    He has even added music to the video....:-)

Taylor Trumpets

8. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    ah, okay. in this case nice to meet you and welcome to tm.

have you tried switching up oils to something thicker or synthetic? al cass is a cheaper conventional oil and you might have better luck with say hetman's or alisyn. i myself use hetman's, it's synthetic, odorless, and is one of the few oils that my '56 olds like.

9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Al Cass is fairly volatile. The solvent base evaporates and over time leaves a residue which clings to the valve and cylinder surfaces. A cleaning with alcohol or lighter fluid will dissolve the residue. Then re-oil and you should be OK.
    veery

10. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

After this thorough cleaning, relube with almost any synthetic valve oil. My personal preference is Hetmans #1 for valves that are not badly worn.

OLDLOU>>