Stiff Upper Lip

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Sethoflagos, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    I guess we're none of us getting any younger, KT

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I agree with KT. Massaging the lip in between each song, movement, section, gets the blood flow into the area. This enhances muscle action and washes away lactic acid before it causes muscle to loose supple tone. So I vote for massage.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Thanks for the second opinion -- you have the makings of a great Doctor --- oh, too late, you already are one

4. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Seth,I had that problem Thursday. Unfortunately it was during our concert, Purcell probably rolled over in his grave on THAT beginning:roll::-o:shock::oops:

5. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Sympathies to both you and Purcell, Buck. Do you find that it correlates with anything (weather, diet, practice...)?

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Probably in a postmortem attempt to massage his lips.

7. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Probably a mix of all three,Seth. A little less on the weather side, it had been a busy 7 day period,though. Did a lot of playing between trumpet,flugle and cornet(different mouthpiece styles):dontknow::oops:

8. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I wonder about the strong black tea -- I take a bit of milk in mine but it's still very strong (a pot bag in a cup). I haven't noticed a problem so far. However, when I drink too much straight water (500ml-750ml) before playing I feel as though I'm drying up and as though I have less control. I often (not really thinking about it) have a cuppa before playing (though I wash it down with a bit of plain water to cleanse the tongue etc). I think I'll start monitoring now.
    During a longer session or gig I sip regularly from a water bottle, just don't guzzle it down.

Playing in a cold climate doesn't suit me either. Do you feel you had this issue in Lagos?

--bumblebee

9. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    I do remember a thread you started some time back, Bumblebee, which put my head into a tailspin, dealing with wet lips, dry lips, medium lips, etc. I was fine when I didn't have to think about it. Then I started analyzing it to the Nth degree, every time I played, let's see how wet are my lips anyway? Too dry, but wait, that's ok, isn't it? Hold on, a little wet is better, no, too wet, hold on, let me wipe them a little, oops too much.............

That's my advice- don't over think all this stuff.
    At least that's the advice I give to myself. It works for me, and I know it doesn't for all. We're not all carbon copy cutouts, are we? That's what makes it great to share all this.

10. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Mrs Seth is quite fond of air-conditioning. Not only can this be cold - as low as 20 deg C - it's a dry cold. We occasionally have issues over this.