Still having tonguing issues

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by eisprl, Jan 30, 2006.

1. mazzrick

mazzrick Pianissimo User

Sep 16, 2005
    Berlin, Germany
    Eric,

On the topic of flutter tonguing: I know of a few people who are simply just unable to flutter tongue. However, the use of flutter tonguing as a tool to fix air management and tonguing, can be recreated through using a harmon mute with no stem. Though, be careful not to overuse the mute and try to avoid practice mutes/really really really resistant mutes. The order that Michael Sachs abides by with his students is to play small passages flutter tongued (muted), slurred, then tongued. This changing of resistences shows you how to balance your air vs your tongue. An addition on that technique is to take a clark study (i.e.) and then to flutter, slur, slur in 2's, slur 2 - tongue 2, tongue. I think this is a Caruso idea. The actual problem your having has very little to do with tonguing and lots to do with the fact that the air is getting blocked. So that's what all these things, and those that other replies have listed, train. The end goal (in one aspect) is to barely interupt the air stream with the tongue while still producing clear poignant articulations. So practice/play whatever you need to find the proper balance of air vs tongue: i.e. goldman 1 normal and down the octave. Hope this helps,

Matt

2. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    Our very own Professor Higgins ;-)

Now repeat after me, the rrrrrain in..... :-P

3. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    YES! I realized this during the summer in a lesson with Mase. He had a great way of teaching this. I wish I could remember his exact wording, but it was somthing along the lines of : All the tongue does is let the lip vibrate, so focus less on the tongue and more on the immediate responce of the lips.

I find the less I focus on the tongue and the more I focus on the immediate crisp response the clearer my articulations get.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    That's why all of my articulation exercises start off as legato tonguing because it disturbs the air stream the least, and once that's under control, it's easier to add more, but if you go the other way and work stacato first, it's not always so easy to back off if you haven't previously gotten that under control.