Still playing on a Back 3b

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by daniel117, May 1, 2013.

1. daniel117

daniel117 Pianissimo User

Jun 28, 2012
    Well it's been 3 years since i switched to the 3b mouthpiece and i'm quite sick of it really because with this mouthpiece ive never been able to play a high e (above the staff) with a full sound. I've talked to instructors for....well uhh instruction on what mouthpiece i should switch to or if i even need to switch. Most have told me to switch because i have thin lips, and have tutored me on how to switch. about 8 months ago i tried switching to a 3c, yeah its a pretty big change but my instructor helped me. After a long 4 months of trying to switch to the 3c it just never felt right i could never reach a d on it and it just sounded empty. I also tried switching to a 1 1/2 b before and that mouthpiece never felt as natural as my 3b. So does this mean that i am forever stuck playing on a 3b? or have i just not been giving the other mouthpieces enough time?

2. trumpetup

trumpetup Piano User

Jan 12, 2009
    Godley, Texas
    You're never stuck with a mouthpiece that you don't like if there are other ones available. A Bach 3b to a 3c isn't much of a change. It would mainly just shape your sound from a darker 3b to a little brighter 3c. If you have thin lips you should try a smaller rim size like a 5c~7c. When you tried the 1-1/2b you went to a larger rim. If you are looking for high notes some people use an even smaller rim 10-1/2c. Again I'm talking Bach mouthpieces. Don't get too hung up on numbers and equipment that it gets in your way of your playing.
    Good Luck,
    Bobby

3. Stefen

Stefen Pianissimo User

Apr 1, 2013
    Sutton Bridge, LINCS. UK
    Have a look at the Schilke range of mouthpieces, I find them more comfortable than the Bach. well that's me.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Get ye to a music store that will allow you to test various brands of mouthpieces. I would start with 3 from each maker, 5, 7, 10.5 (Bach Like Sizes) and play on your horn. If Schilke (which is a good brand to try) 6, 13, 14 would be a good range to try, and the (a) series in the Schilke line as well. Make sure you bring the horn you intend to use with the chosen mouthpiece with you when trying these out.

You should never feel married to a mouthpiece.... Heck I have created mouthpiece adultery 5 times in the past year alone if this were the case. And even then, I still switch among my harem of mouthpieces depending on the demand of the piece and the sound I want to get. Of course I do have my favorites, and for them... I give them gold plating... does kind of make the others in my stable jealous.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    And I will add this advice to this good advise. Since you mentioned your thin lips, you should educate yourself to a mpc size that will facilitate your anatomy with your playing aspiration. Here's a link to John Storks website. It is a little clunky, but the info is great. A Bach 3B may just be too big to work efficiently with your lips.

New Page 1

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I think it's a huge change. I played a Bach 3C for many years, but was never really happy with the sound it produced (too bright/thin). I bought a Bach 3B thinking it would be like a 3C, but would have a little warmer sound. Well, it has a warmer sound, but the rim shape is different, the cup has more of a V shape instead of just being a deeper C cup, and the backbore is extremely open. The thing wore me out in no time.

I finally bought a Curry 3B., which is like a Bach 3C with a deeper cup. Nice sound, still pretty easy to play. After that, I decided to try a Curry 3C., and it's sort of like a Bach 3C, but better - the upper register is just as easy, but the sound has a lot more core to it.

As for a substitute for the Bach 3B, maybe a Curry 3BC. would work for you. It has a lot of the characteristics of the Bach 3B (similar cup shape, open backbore), but has the Curry magic applied to it.

7. Swerve

Swerve New Friend

Feb 5, 2013
    Mount Vernon, New York
    Daniel. I play a Bach 6B as my everyday piece and have also explored Shilke pieces that are comparable. If you like the way the Bach "B" feels on your lips, i would recommend that you stay away from Shilke Pieces that have the #4 rim Contour.

Im my experience, i have found the Shilke #4 rim to be a little too sharp on my chops compared to the feel of the Bach B. The Shilke 3 (standard) rim contour feels better IMO. Good luck with your search.

-marc

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    IMO thin or thick lips have no bearing on what mouthpiece would be best suited for YOU, both tonally and comfortable. Too, I wouldn't suggest that anyone could be completely satisfied with an in-store trial of a selection. Even were I to play one several months, I wouldn't foresee that I'd feel comfortable with it, or even like it later. There are just too many variables, among them, rims, cup depth, throats, back bores, and lastly mating with the instrument you play ... and manufacturers are well aware of this and offer a very diverse selection, hence many of us pursue such on a "safari". It has been stated that a professional could make any quality instrument sound great, but never have I read that they can also do so with any mouthpiece. Well, I do not assume that I play great and I do have my favorite mouthpieces but I vary usage and make do with whatever I have and that includes mouthpieces for instruments other than trumpet or cornet and in tutoring beginners on trumpet I use the 7C and 5C with about equal quality instrument to what they have or been provided.

Otherwise, I've clothing but don't wear the same ones every day.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    There are some days I don't wear clothing at all... but I would not recommend playing the trumpet without a mouthpiece... unless playing naked so you don't gather too much attention.

10. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    Feeling too sharp on my chops was why I left Schilke in favor of Curry, where I remain quite happy. I would recommend finding that lip comfort first, then within whatever manufacturer you settle on, carefully move through the various cup depths, back bores, etc, while keeping the rim diameter and shape the same across all the mpcs. You must hold all the variables constant in your search except one at a time so that you can feel what it is that manipulating that one variable does for your sound, stamina, range, etc. Switching across manufacturers will make this experimentation invalid. Also, in my experience, you need a long time with a mpc to even notice the subtle differences between them. This doesn't happen playing a couple minutes on each one at a music store.